Questions about application.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Questions about application.

by eric68508 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:52 pm
Hi, I am working on my application now and I have some questions about how to write the essay and application form.

1)I have found that the word limit of optional essay is usually around 250 only. But I have lots of things need to explain,

i) I have a master degree in a university of US ranked in around 80, and my GPA is 3.61. However, my undergraduate GPA in Hong Kong is 2.35 only.

ii)I just have 2 year work experience but the average of my target universities are 4-6 years.

iii)I quit my professional job half year before I study in USA. And I worked as a swimming coach in this period of time.

iv)I was not admitted by the master degree directly, I have study as undergraduate student for 1 semester in that university before start my master program.

2) If the essay question asks me to identify the courses I have taken or intend to take to demonstrate quantitative proficiency. What kinds of class should I include?

i) I took some class with a title like "Calculus I", "Calculus II" and "Applied Statistic" in undergraduate college, but my grades ranged from D to B only..Should I mention about them? It seems that the questions have not asked me to identify my grade.

ii) I am studying in a master of actuarial science now, and I get several A+ and A with 2 'B' grades from the class with title like "LIFE CONTINGENCIES" and "INTRO RISK THEORY ". Although they do not look like a mathematics class, they include lots of math. Also, is it that B is considered as a bad grade in USA and I should omit them too?

3) For the essay question about leadership, accomplishment and innovation, if I just have 2 year W/E, but I have several extra curriculum activities and have joined some completion in university life. Which one would be more suitable to be used in the essay? Some people said that strong extra curriculum activities can make me unique in the pool of Asian applicants but some people said that experience from work is much more important than those from college.

4)If the essay question asked that What steps have you taken to learn about the XXX MBA program, and what factors have influenced your decision to apply?
Is it a good idea to emphasis on the information I collected from campus visit and mention about the name of admission committee who has talked with me during that day?

5)If the question just ask me why XXX University MBA, should I mention that it is because I have visited XXX University and I have talked with Prof XYZ, I found that the university is most suitable for me?

Thank you very much

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:32 am
1)I have found that the word limit of optional essay is usually around 250 only. But I have lots of things need to explain,

There is a reason that schools set a word limit. It is to test your communication skills. It is to test whether you can effectively and efficiently communicate or not. It is to test your written communication skillss. Avoid telling long dramatic tales and come to the point. This is not a shakespeare / literature essay. Keep your story brief.Hire a consultant, if you find yourself battling with this part. There are many out there.
i) I have a master degree in a university of US ranked in around 80, and my GPA is 3.61. However, my undergraduate GPA in Hong Kong is 2.35 only.
The University that gives your your 'Graduation Certification' is what is your GPA. Are you sure your hong kong's school scoring system is the same as US? If so, tough luck, you'll simply need to use the 'optional essay' option to provide proper explanation on why you have a low GPA.
ii)I just have 2 year work experience but the average of my target universities are 4-6 years.
If you are planning to apply this year, by the time you start your school in Fall 2010, you'll have 3 yrs of experience. Most of my candidates realize while discussing their resume with me that they have more work experience than they have actually accounted for. You may be in the same boat.
iii)I quit my professional job half year before I study in USA. And I worked as a swimming coach in this period of time.
Why did you do this? Is there a proper explanation to this behavior?
iv)I was not admitted by the master degree directly, I have study as undergraduate student for 1 semester in that university before start my master program.

First of all, your written communication skills need work! I'm not even sure what are you trying to say over here! Please make sure you find a consultant for your own good while applying for an MBA.
2) If the essay question asks me to identify the courses I have taken or intend to take to demonstrate quantitative proficiency. What kinds of class should I include?
This is where you Math, Statistics, Finance related classes will go.
i) I took some class with a title like "Calculus I", "Calculus II" and "Applied Statistic" in undergraduate college, but my grades ranged from D to B only..Should I mention about them? It seems that the questions have not asked me to identify my grade.

Yes, but when you submit your application, you are asked to submit your transcripts as well! So avoid 'hiding' information as these committee members are not lame and dumb! I've been there - so I know how the system works. Some students add ALL the subjects they took. They also go ahead and enroll again in classes where they got a 'D' to bring up their quant scores. You may want to think about it.
ii) I am studying in a master of actuarial science now, and I get several A+ and A with 2 'B' grades from the class with title like "LIFE CONTINGENCIES" and "INTRO RISK THEORY ". Although they do not look like a mathematics class, they include lots of math. Also, is it that B is considered as a bad grade in USA and I should omit them too?
Well, the risk theory makes sense. But, you aren't expected to list every single thing down. All they want to know is - Have you taken calculus class, statistics / accounting / Finance related classes or not. Are you meeting their minimum requirements or not. So, from that angle - these classes aren't really needed to be listed. Use your limited space wisely.
3) For the essay question about leadership, accomplishment and innovation, if I just have 2 year W/E, but I have several extra curriculum activities and have joined some completion in university life. Which one would be more suitable to be used in the essay? Some people said that strong extra curriculum activities can make me unique in the pool of Asian applicants but some people said that experience from work is much more important than those from college.
Yes - experience at work is THE most important thing. What do you bring to the table when they put you in the class of potential MBA candidates? You are there to share and learn. How can you share when you've not really had much work experience? How are you planning to relate to major corporate issues when you've not been through one? Makes sense? From that angle, this is important. However, activities help as 'icing' on the cake. It is not the 'core' thing they are looking at but they are definitely looking at it to see how do you stand out as a Unique person. In your essays, generally committee is looking for one leadership experience and one community service leadership experience.
4)If the essay question asked that What steps have you taken to learn about the XXX MBA program, and what factors have influenced your decision to apply?
Is it a good idea to emphasis on the information I collected from campus visit and mention about the name of admission committee who has talked with me during that day?
Yes. Absolutely. If you met a specific person, mention it.
5)If the question just ask me why XXX University MBA, should I mention that it is because I have visited XXX University and I have talked with Prof XYZ, I found that the university is most suitable for me?
Why don't you put yourself in a committee member's shoe? Is a professor's conversation THE only reason that you like a school or is it the people as well? Go over the website, understand their culture. See what a school likes to 'promote' when they promote themselves! Like Cornell talks about making an 'IMPACT'...what do othere schools talk about? Do your homework. Don't just take a shortcut. A sloppy essay and poor work always shows right away!

Good Luck!
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31