Question in response to Stratus Prep Webinar 7/18/12

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi,

This was a really great webinar and this is one of my followup questions.

In the webinar, 4 applicants were presented. All 4 had relatively low gmat scores, relatively low GPAs, average institutions and average work experience, but all were accepted into top 5 schools.

I notice this type of "subpar-GMAT" "subpar-GPA" selling point used by many of the consultancy companies, but what about profiles of the type of applicant i am? do they even exist?

My GMAT is well above the median, my GPA is well within range, and my work experience in terms of # of years is right on... using the words of the webinar, my "vitals" are on target.

However, my other elements are weak. Leadership examples at work and outside work no strong. no volunteer experience. My recommendations might very well be "lukewarm". And overall, it is very difficult to craft a story about myself.

do admission consultants heavily promote the testimonials with low gmat score /gpa/ work experience because it helps target the right customers? Or is it really true that those are the ONLY elements you can overcome in an application?

By the way I'm interested in top part-time programs if that makes any difference.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by youngjames » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:01 am
i think the reason the lower end of the spectrum are what's profiled is because it's assumed that anything above the averages decrease the degree of difficulty for the candd. so, if i were to show you how i got a bunch of top tier candds accepted into low ranked programs, how much respect would you have for my services? highlighting the challenging candidates represents the power of the work and value of the consultants. it doesn't imply that anyone outside of these groups will have challenges being admitted.

if your vital stats are right in the sweet spot of the programs you're applying to, then your job is to get out of your own way. don't overthink the process. just be honest, forthright, crisp, and clear about what you want and why you want it. your track record will show you can get it! and there's no better indicator of future success than past performance.

hope that's helpful,
-james young
www.TheFirstRead.com
A new approach to MBA Admissions consulting