Question about the application review process

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi Lisa, I have a question. Could you explain how the application review process works? I have applied to a Top 10 part-time program. They won't start reviewing applications until May 1 and will review everyone's at the same time.

Since multiple people review the applications, do they use some sort of rating system for each part of the application (like a scorecard or something)? I'm just curious how the admissions committee assesses each application and how they share that information with each other. If you could shed some light on that, I would appreciate it!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:36 am
Dear black_cat,

The admissions review process does vary from school to school. At most programs, your application will be reviewed by multiple members of the admissions committee. There is usually some standard feedback form each member of the committee will complete on each application. The form can be as structured as specific questions (with or without a rating scale), or it can be a free-form structure where the committee members write comments on each applicant's strengths and weaknesses. Of course, the form could also be anywhere in-between those two styles.

Then the application will generally go to a final decision. Most schools bring all applicants to a meeting of the admissions committee for the deciding vote. Other schools will have committee members cast their vote on the feedback form and only bring applicants with mixed votes to a meeting for a final decision. Then the applicants are notified of the decision.

Once again, the process can and does vary from school to school. This is just a general overview of the process.

Wishing you a positive result on your application,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me