Question about Manhattan GMAT!!

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Question about Manhattan GMAT!!

by luiscarlos59 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:50 pm
Hi, Im considering buying the online set of 6 CATs and quiz bank for around $70 bucks.

My question is if anyone know if you can finish the 6 CATS and retake them again? or if you finish them you are not able to do them again?

Also for how much time does they become available to use?

RegardS

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed May 11, 2011 10:18 pm
Hi,

If you buy one of their guides, you will get all the Cats free. You dont need to spend 70 to buy them. (check their site?)

You can reset and retake the tests once you finish all of them. But you will see a lot of repeat questions.

The tests are available for a period of one year.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Thu May 12, 2011 9:17 am
hi,

I would say MGMAT tests are relly great.
it is true that if you retake the tests you will see lots of repeat questions.
But according to me 6MGMAT+2GMATPrep+free CATs such as Verita's ,Kaplan's,800 score's,Princeton's are more than enough to get acquainted with GMAT.
One need not retake the tests.
Thanks!
Prachi

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by maus » Thu May 12, 2011 1:23 pm
Hi there~

I bought the MGMAT CATs and Question Banks, and to answer your questions:

1) you can retake the CATs but any of the scores after the first 6 you might not want to take so seriously only because you will see repeat questions.
2) 1 year

IMO, they are worth it. Vineesh is right that you can just buy one guide and get the tests free. The question banks are nice to build on fundamentals though, although there are only 25 questions (I think) so don't expect to have a ton of questions at your disposal. Also, the question banks are not adaptive but they usually test on the 500-700 level for quant.

Good luck luiscarlos59! :)
Maus
<:3)))~~~

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu May 12, 2011 1:49 pm
If you have enough time to include multiple CATs for practice, then yes, I strongly recommend going this route and save GMATPrep for latter part of the preparation.
Yep.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Fri May 13, 2011 1:00 pm
uwhusky wrote:If you have enough time to include multiple CATs for practice, then yes, I strongly recommend going this route and save GMATPrep for latter part of the preparation.
DISCLAIMER: I never make the suggestion to take "all the CATs you can get your hands on", and in fact think that too many people try to prep by focusing on just testing and not increasing their content knowledge. BUT, if you feel that taking a large number of CATs is for you - here is my suggestion

I definitely agree about saving the GMATPrep CATs, but I have found that students who WANT to take all 6 CATs on our (Manhattan GMAT) site do themselves a favor using the following structure:

CAT (1) MGMAT CAT as diagnostic
CAT (2) MGMAT CAT - after studying the biggest weakness areas from the original & working on any timing issues
CAT (3) MGMAT CAT - after analyzing 2 earlier CATs and reviewing areas of persiting weakness

**IF quant timing on CAT 3 is still an issue (running out of time) I recommend buying the set of GMAT Focus sets from mba.com. 24 questions each, adaptive and timed. At this stage in study there is no excuse for running out of time - you HAVE to set a pace and stay on it throughout the test. Sadly there is no GMAT Focus for verbal, work on short sets of mixed difficulty and mixed problem type out of the OGs**

CAT (4)
MidSession Check in - take CAT 1 from GMAT Prep. (use a stopwatch with a lap button and try to remember to hit "lap" between every question - this way you can check timing on certain question types)

Then follow this with CATs 4-6 on MGMAT w/ review between for weak content area (review and practice problems from the OGs). Try to avoid taking practice exams more frequently than 1 a week and MAKE SURE that in between you are working diligently to review content and pace!

Finally, about 2 weeks before your exam, use the second GMATPrep CAT for final gauge. Assume that this IS the score you would get if you were to take the exam that day. If you are not happy with that score, then review or re-think proposed test date.

NOTE: This means taking a LOT of CATs and I typically say 3-4 over the course of all your study is more than enough!!
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)