Quant Section Strategy Improvement??

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Quant Section Strategy Improvement??

by MBAchiever » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:36 pm
Hello all,

I've decided to register on this website in search of advice because my GMAT Quant section progress has reached critical lows. I've been studying for the GMAT, abiding by no real schedule or regimen, for about 3 months now. The verbal section was never really an issue; I scored high from the beginning (85-95th percentile). However, being that I majored in Film and minored in Spanish as an undergrad, I rarely had exposure to mathematics while at University. So needless to say, the GMAT Quant section has been very difficult for me.

In the course of these three months, I've read two books (Kaplan GMAT and Princeton Review GMAT Math) and even taken a GMAT math class (9, 2 hour sessions) at a local testing center. However, I've periodically taken practice Quant section tests and the results have been roughly the same each time. In fact, the test I just took yielded a lower score than the previous test; 19/37 and 20/37, respectively. My scores are dismal.

I have learned common formulas tested on the GMAT but have trouble knowing how/when to apply them. Also, some questions, usually data sufficiency, make absolutely no sense no matter how many times I re-read them. Is this normal?

I AM OPEN TO ANY ADVICE as to how I can get the most from what I've learned over the past three months. You could throw a flashcard in front of my face that dealt with any GMAT formula or concept and I would ace it...BUT, I struggle when it comes to recognizing when/how to use said formulas and concepts. Thanks in advance for the help, everyone!

-Alex

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gsbjake » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:03 pm
Hey Alex,
I used Benchmark and portions of Kaplan 800 for Quant and had it work out very well. PM me if you have any particular questions and good luck bro!

JL