Quant - From 38 to 45

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Quant - From 38 to 45

by stevennu » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:46 pm
I wanted to get some feedback from you all out there regarding my study plan to move from a 38 quant score to a 45 quant score. Thus far i've taken 3 Manhattan GMAT CAT tests and scored 630, 620 and 640. My verbal score in all three tests has hovered in the 38-41 range. I'm not worried whatsoever with regards to my verbal. I'm doing a mix of about 20 verbal questions per day in order to stay fresh and maintain my skills.

Obviously, much of the improvement I need to focus on is in the quant section. I'm wrapping up the final MGMAT quant book and although I've learned a lot, I still feel that I have to go back and cement some of the concepts in my head. I feel very good about FDP's, and Geometry. I think most of my problems in the quant section arise from a lack of skill in properly breaking down word problems/rate problems into algebraic equations, and from an inability to create a system of equations in order to solve the standard quant questions. In addition to the aforementioned, I'm also missing between 7-10 questions on each quant section as a result of stupid errors.

I originally scheduled my test for October 19th but given my work schedule, was forced to reschedule to November 23. This gives me a good amount of time (I hope) to address my weaknesses and get the score I'm after. Regarding my score, I'm not after an astronomical score by any means. I'm shooting for a GMAT of around 680. If I can get that, I feel that the rest of my profile and application will pull me through just fine.

I spent some time this evening reading articles and preparing a plan for the next 6 weeks of study. Would you all be so kind as to comment on my plan as well as suggest additional material/methods that may help me improve?

Below is my rough plan.

After I finish the last GMAT Quant Guide, I'm going to start again from the top and work my way through the books. I purchased the GMAT Quant review book so I will be answering questions from there in addition to re-answering questions from the OG. In addition to re-reading the materials and my notes, I will also be watching the corresponding "Thursdays with Ron" video on the MGMAT website. I just watched my first one today regarding combinations and I think that it was very helpful. My goal this time around is to gain a deeper understanding of the concepts and how they are incorporated into the GMAT. I will be supplementing the MGAMT materials with the Kaplan math book. I plan to spend about 1 week per book reviewing the materials and watching the videos.

I signed up for BTG's daily quant question and will be solving those in addition to the questions from GMAT Club.

I now have data from three MGMAT CAT tests and will be going through it in order to figure out where my weaknesses lie. The only problem is that I took two of the tests prior to completing the MGAMT Quant Guides. I think that my errors may be skewed towards areas I have improved upon. What is the best way by reviewing the tests reports to evaluate my weak areas?

Starting the 26th, I will be taking the last three MGMAT CAT's as well as the 2 Prep Tests in order to continue to get myself in the GMAT groove.

Do you all think this is enough to get over the hump or are there other things I can be doing? Please give me any advice you may have - I'm all ears.

Thanks for the help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sukhman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:56 am
Although I am in the same boat as you I am around 37 Quant mark , see if u can get any Indian book specially for CAT like Arun Sharma and some other book since U have 1 and half months i think you would be able to finish it , You would be able to clear your basics and practice the solved examples at the end of chapters . If you are already at 38 mark after studying MGMAT You can easily go to 45 mark , just my opinion.
Last edited by sukhman on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GMAT Score:710

by TheGmatTutor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:28 pm
Stevennu,

I have found that MGMAT quant sections are a little harder that the actual test. In particular, some of their question prompts are especially time-consuming to set up the algebra. There is a good chance that you will do better if you take a practice test using the GMATPrep software.

It looks like you haven't taken any GMATPrep full length exams. These are the most accurate gauge of your score. There are now 4 full length exams available from mba.com if you buy the additional Exam Pack 1. I would recommend you stop taking MGMAT exams and switch to the official practice exams.
If this post was helpful, please click the "Thanks" button.

by stevennu » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:33 pm
TheGmatTutor wrote:Stevennu,

I have found that MGMAT quant sections are a little harder that the actual test. In particular, some of their question prompts are especially time-consuming to set up the algebra. There is a good chance that you will do better if you take a practice test using the GMATPrep software.

It looks like you haven't taken any GMATPrep full length exams. These are the most accurate gauge of your score. There are now 4 full length exams available from mba.com if you buy the additional Exam Pack 1. I would recommend you stop taking MGMAT exams and switch to the official practice exams.
How much of a points difference did you notice between the MGMAT and GMAT Prep? Also, if I buy the GMAT Prep Pack 1 I will get an addition 2 tests for a total of 4 GMAT Prep tests right?

GMAT Score:710

by TheGmatTutor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:44 pm
It's hard to say how much of a point difference - you will just have to take the tests and see. In the higher scoring ranges, Manhattan GMAT asks some wacky questions that are not representative of the real exam.

The GMATPrep software comes with two free exams, and you can buy the Exam Pack 1 to get two more exams for a total of 4. The cost is $40.
If this post was helpful, please click the "Thanks" button.

by sukhman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:23 pm
GMAT prep Pack 1 is different although its a good practice but you wont get any rough score , I think there are explanations available unlike GMAT PREP 2.0 AND Exam Pack 1

by stevennu » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:12 am
sukhman wrote:GMAT prep Pack 1 is different although its a good practice but you wont get any rough score , I think there are explanations available unlike GMAT PREP 2.0 AND Exam Pack 1
What do you mean I won't get any rough score? Are you talking about section breakdowns or actual scores?

by sukhman » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:23 am
both no for GMAT Prep Pack 1 I think from what I have read over net reviews , for Exam Pack 1 yes you will get both its just like GMAT Prep Test but you have to pay 40$ for 2 more tests. GMAT prep pack 1 is good for practice just like OG ( so there is more of official material which I think is more useful , I have got both but have not done anything yet.I am going to take some 80 questions each at a time to build stamina for the exam , which you can pick up according to level of difficulty , read some reviews on net, you will understand the difference.