Quadratic formula and graphs

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Quadratic formula and graphs

by ig83 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:52 pm
I am taking the GMAT on Saturday, had some quick questions as I'm studying.

Has anyone that has taken the GMAT ever had to use the quadratic formula?

Do graphs and lines show up a lot on the GMAT. What I mean by that is finding the equation of a line or having to graph an equation to find an answer to a question. What have people seen in the past?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Quadratic formula and graphs

by beatthegmat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:26 pm
ig83 wrote:I am taking the GMAT on Saturday, had some quick questions as I'm studying.

Has anyone that has taken the GMAT ever had to use the quadratic formula?

Do graphs and lines show up a lot on the GMAT. What I mean by that is finding the equation of a line or having to graph an equation to find an answer to a question. What have people seen in the past?
I wouldn't expect any questions that require the quadratic function. I haven't heard any cases where folks reported that they used the quadratic equation to solve a problem--I doubt GMAC would require the use of this equation in any questions that they write, since GMAT math questions are meant to be answered within a few minutes (it takes time to use this formula!)

Coordinate geometry questions appear infrequently--usually in the toughest bin of questions. I would expect that you would see AT MOST one question on this topic. I seem to recall on my GMAT using the y=mx+b formula for a coordinate geometry question.

Best of luck! Let us know how your GMAT goes on Saturday!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

update

by ig83 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:27 pm
Thanks for the replies. I am shooting for a high score. I've been scoring in the 690 to 720 range on practice exams but feel a lot more confident in my last week of studying. I've read some stuff on this website and it seems that people recommend going over questions in the Official Guide right before the exam.

Yesterday I did all of the verbal sentence correction questions from the 10th edition and today and tomorrow I am planning on doing a bunch of math questions also from the 10th edition. I hope this is a winning strategy.