Q38 V28 to Q50 V45 in 3 months Working professional

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
I took my GMAT today. Shattered 530 Q38 V28. Had a rough last 2 months , wife in surgery now recovering. My mocks 710 (Q47 V38) and 660 ( Q41 V40 ). I am having an issue in staying focused after quants. Plus the IR wasTable and graphs heavy so got drained a lot there and managed a 4. Also I got around 3 probability questions , couple of coordinate and set questions so wondering how does one gauge during the test where one is.

I am working professional so can spare 3 hrs a day and 6 hrs on weekend. Any suggestions how to go about.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:10 am
Hi riteshpatnaik,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. These CATs that you mentioned - were they taken in a realistic fashion (and were they re-takes of CATs that you had already used?)? I ask because earlier this year (in July), you mentioned how you had re-taken a number of CATs and had made other unrealistic choices while taking other CATs (for example, pausing the CAT so you could look up formulas). The Official GMAT will always give you the score that you EARN, so if you're studying in a way that creates unrealistic score results, then you'll have to make some changes to how you take your CATs (among other things).

It's also been over 4 months since you last discussed your studies. Can you go into more detail about how you've been studying since July?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by riteshpatnaik » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:59 am
Hi ,
This time I made sure that the CATs were as realistic as possible including breaks. I generally don't remember questions because I don't attempt to memorise them but try working it out so I don't remember if the questions were repeated. In July when I had posted I had my Test on Aug 31 but due to work commitments was traveling and reached on the day of exam so just gave it for the heck of it. Then from mid Sep I prepped. Mostly quants and on weekends SC Grail, RC Grail and CR power score but this I started in October end then mid October gave my mock 1 exam pack 2 score 710, then my wife met with an accident and had to undergo surgery and hence from Nov1 till 20 I didn't study anything. Then came back brushed up and gave my 2 nd Mock exam 2 and Got 660.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:54 am
riteshpatnaik wrote:I took my GMAT today. Shattered 530 Q38 V28. Had a rough last 2 months , wife in surgery now recovering. My mocks 710 (Q47 V38) and 660 ( Q41 V40 ). I am having an issue in staying focused after quants. Plus the IR wasTable and graphs heavy so got drained a lot there and managed a 4. Also I got around 3 probability questions , couple of coordinate and set questions so wondering how does one gauge during the test where one is.

I am working professional so can spare 3 hrs a day and 6 hrs on weekend. Any suggestions how to go about.
First, you need to make sure that you're in an appropriate state of mind to be studying at all. Given that your wife was recovering from what sounds like a major procedure, it's no wonder you were distracted. Who wouldn't be? So I guess that's the first question - how is your wife doing now? (And, by proxy, how are you doing?) You may need to give yourself a little time before you're ready to dive back in. The GMAT isn't going anywhere.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by riteshpatnaik » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:50 pm
She is recovering well now and has rejoined office sonce Friday. I will take this month off and start my prep from the new year onwards. Further I didn't cancel my score will get an enhanced report see how I fared in different areas.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:41 am
Hi riteshpatnaik,

When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. If you can answer a few questions, then we should be able to figure this out:

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?
6) What 'brand' of CATs were these? Were they computer-based or pencil-and-paper Tests?

Rich

by riteshpatnaik » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:35 pm
Hi,
I have cancelled this score after I got my ESR.

My mocks 710 (Q47 V38) and 660 ( Q41 V40 ). I am attaching my Enhanced Score Report so that I can get suggestions as to, how to go about my preps starting Jan 2017.

I made sure that the CATs were as realistic as possible including breaks. No pausing etc. followed the GMAT exam decorum to the T. I generally don't remember questions because I don't attempt to memorise them but try working it out so I don't remember if the questions were repeated. In July when I had posted I had my Test on Aug 31 but due to work commitments was travelling and reached on the day of exam so just gave it for the heck of it. Then from mid-Sep I prepped. Mostly quants and on weekends SC Grail, RC Grail and CR power score but this I started in October end.

In mid-October I gave my mock 1 exam pack 2- score of 710, then my wife met with an accident and had to undergo surgery and hence from Nov1 till 20 I didn't study anything. Then came back brushed up and gave my 2 nd Mock exam 2 and Got 660.

I am working professional so can spare 3 hrs a day and 6 hrs on weekend. Any suggestions how to go about.I have used Target Test Prep for Quants and SC Grail, RC Grail by Aristotle and CR POWERSCORE 2015. Do you recommend MGMAT Quant Guides + OG 17 + GMAT CLUB for Quants and MGMAT SC ?. I loved TTP and though I went from Q30 to Q47 solely because of TTP,but it needs to be supplemented with real GMAT prep questions and explanations by someone else other than TTP.
Attachments
Ritesh Patnaik_304699061_ESR.pdf
(432.5 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

by riteshpatnaik » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:40 pm
Hi,
I have been scoring consistently in high 45s in Mock Quants but due to illness wasn't able to concentrate on the day.

Verbal from start has been my weak point. I have tried SC grail, RC grail and CR Bible. CR accuracy is around 75%. SC and RC is 50%. My verbal score in Mocks fluctuated from 30 to 40. Never consistent though.

Here is my plan going forward.

Target Test Date April 2017 (date Not Decided)

For Verbal - e-gmat
For Quants- Undecided (Empower vs Veritas)

I am a working professional (Management Consultant) so more than 2 hrs a day on weekdays is not possible. Also,on weekends and holidays I would dedicate around 3 hrs each for Verbal and Quants. I intend to focus only on Verbal for 1 st 45 days then Shift to Quants for next 45 days. I would also be doing 3-4 hrs of quants on each weekend and holiday, so that I don't loose my concepts on quants.

Regards,
Ritesh

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:12 am
Hi Ritesh,

Since it's been a month since you took the Official GMAT, if you have not taken a NEW FULL-LENGTH CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) since then, then you should plan to take one soon. This will provide an important basis for comparison as you continue to study. Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can discuss the results.

Raising a 530/Q38/V28 to the 700+ level will take some serious time and effort - and you'll have to make improvements to how you handle BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. As such, you should plan to study some Quant and some Verbal each week. In addition, now that you've experienced the Official GMAT, you can take the extra steps to make sure that your CATs 'match up' with Test Day in as many ways as possible.

Rich