puzzled with the answers .Need more insight

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

puzzled with the answers .Need more insight

by shamik » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:00 am
Hi,

This is my first post in this forum.The answers and the related explanations of the sentence correction questions made me little bit confused.If any one can provide more insight that will be a great help .The questions are taken from an old version of SC GRAIL.

Marc Murphy, the chef and an owner of the Landmarc restaurants in Manhattan, is roasting turkey breasts in one oven while he braises the legs in the other.

A. the chef and an owner of the Landmarc restaurants in Manhattan, is roasting turkey breasts in one oven while he braises the legs in the other

B. Landmarc restaurants' chef and owner in Manhattan, roasts turkey breasts in one oven while braising the legs in another

C. the chef and an owner of the Landmarc restaurants in Manhattan, roast turkey breasts in one oven while braising the leg in another

D. the chef and an owner of the Landmarc restaurants of Manhattan, roasted turkey breasts in one oven while braising the legs in another

E. the chef and an owner of the Landmarc restaurants in Manhattan, roasts turkey breasts in one oven while braising the legs in another

Correct option is E as per the book.

Explanation the book:

A. "—Roasting' is not parallel with "—braises'

My Doubt: How come in option E 'roasts' is parallel with 'braising' . Roasts is simple present tense of verb while 'braising' is in gerund form.

The Chinese suan pan is different than the European abacus in that the board is split into two decks, with two beads on each rod in the upper deck and five beads on each in the bottom, representing the digits 0 through 4.

A. The Chinese suan pan is different than the European abacus in that the board is split into two decks, with two beads on each rod in the upper deck and five beads on each in the bottom, representing the digits 0 through 4.

B. The Chinese suan pan differs from the European abacus because the board is split into two decks, having two beads for each rod in the upper deck and five beads, representing the digits 0 and 4, on each in the bottom.

C. The Chinese suan pan differs from the European abacus in that the board is split into two decks, with two beads on each rod in the upper deck and five beads, representing the digits 0 through 4, each in the bottom.

D. The Chinese suan pan differs from the European abacus in that the board is split into two decks, with two beads on each rod in the upper deck and five beads, representing the digits 0 through 4, on each in the bottom.

E. The Chinese suan pan differs from the European abacus due to the fact that the board has been split into two decks, with two beads on each rod in the upper deck and five beads, which are representative of the digits 0 through 4, on each in the bottom.

Correct option is D as per the book.

Please explain me why option B is incorrect.As per the book B - "—differs....because' does not make sense. Avoid the "—-ing' (having)

Why 'differs' and 'because' can not be used in the given sentence?

In her substantive new book, Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

A. Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

B. Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looked at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.

C. the role of minimalism in fashion has been examined by Elyssa Dimant, but she also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

D. Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

E. Elyssa Dimant has been examining the role of minimalism in fashion, and also looking at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design.

As per the book correct answer is option D.

My doubt: 'But also' is present without 'Not only' .As per my understanding these two phrases come together. I am most confused with this question.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 am
Welcome to the forum! It is often times best practice to split questions into different post.

1) E is in the correct form. Braising is used as a present participle.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by theCEO » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:00 pm
The answer to Q3 can be generated from the process of elimination

A. Elyssa Dimant examined the role of minimalism in fashion and also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design. Wrong tenses

B. Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looked at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design. Wrong tenses

C. the role of minimalism in fashion has been examined by Elyssa Dimant, but she also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design. Wrong tenses

D. Elyssa Dimant examines the role of minimalism in fashion, but also looks at the broader context of its appearance in art, architecture and design.

E. Elyssa Dimant has been examining the role of minimalism in fashion, and also looking at the broader context of their appearance in art, architecture and design Sounds weird!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:52 am
Q2
The correct usage is: A differs from B in ..

Q3
Although the idiom usage is
Not only X but also Y
However, you will find instances wherein X, but also Y is used.
R A H U L

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:40 am
How come in option E 'roasts' is parallel with 'braising' . Roasts is simple present tense of verb while 'braising' is in gerund form.
In some cases, a subordinate clause will omit a subject and verb when their presence is clearly understood.
Such a clause is called a VERBLESS clause.
Typically, the omitted verb is a form of TO BE.

From the OG12:
Rising inventories, if not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Implied meaning:
Rising inventories, if [they are] not accompanied by corresponding increases in sales, can lead to production cutbacks that would hamper economic growth.
Here, the bracketed words are omitted, but their presence is understood.

From the OG10:
Although accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.
Implied meaning:
Although [they are] accounting for only 5 percent of the world's population, United States citizens consume 28 percent of its nonrenewable resources.

Answer choice E in SC1 above implies the following:
Marc Murphy roasts turkey breasts in one oven while [he is] braising the legs in another.
Note that the implied verb in the subordinate clause (is braising) does not have to be parallel with the verb in the main clause (roasts).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:54 am
shamik wrote: Please explain me why option B is incorrect. As per the book B - "—differs....because' does not make sense. Avoid the "—-ing' (having)
The suan pan differs from the abacus because the board of the suan pan is split into two decks.
Implied meaning:
That the board of the suan pan is split into two decks CAUSES the suan pan to differ from the abacus.
Not the intended meaning.
The relationship here is not causal.
That the board of the suan pan is split into two decks does not CAUSE the suan pan to diffet from the abacus.
Rather, that the board of the suan pan is split into two decks is HOW the suan pan differs from the abacus.
To express HOW something is true, we use in that:
The suan pan differs from the abacus IN THAT the board of the suan pan is split into two decks.

For a discussion of the difference between because and in that, check my 2nd post here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/teratomas-t109924.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:59 am
shamik wrote: My doubt: 'But also' is present without 'Not only' .As per my understanding these two phrases come together.
While not only must be followed by but also, but also does NOT have to be preceded by not only.
Check here for an OA in GMATPrep that includes but it also without not only:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/farmland-pre ... 09806.html

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:01 am
shamik wrote:This is my first post in this forum.The answers and the related explanations of the sentence correction questions made me little bit confused.
Moving forward, please post only one SC per thread.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3