Pursuit of Happiness!

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Pursuit of Happiness!

by neeti2711 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:51 pm
Philosopher: The rational pursuit of happiness is quite different from always doing what one most strongly desires to do. This is because the rational pursuit of happiness must include consideration of long-term consequences, whereas our desires are usually focused on the short term. Moreover, desires are sometimes compulsions, and while ordinary desires result in at least momentary happiness when their goals are attained, compulsions strongly drive a person to pursue goals that offer no happiness even when reached.

If all of the philosopher's statements are true, each of the following could be true EXCEPT:

(A) the majority of people do not have compulsions

(B) Attaining the goal of any desire results in momentary happiness

(C) Most people do not pursue happiness rationally

(D) Most people want more than their own personal happiness

(E) All actions have long-term consequences

Followed by:6 members

by The Iceman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:07 am
Option B is correct

desires are sometimes compulsions ...compulsions strongly drive a person to pursue goals that offer no happiness even when reached.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Sapana » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:59 am
why not E? isn't it E too extreme to be true? what is OA?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nash.8087 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:20 pm
Even I think it is E. What is OA?

Followed by:6 members

by The Iceman » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:27 pm
Sapana wrote:why not E? isn't it E too extreme to be true? what is OA?
I think you have not fully understood the problem statement itself. The question stem says "could be true EXCEPT" and not "must be true or inerred or concluded EXCEPT"

This means we should look for an answer choice, which must not be true. All other options would have to be possibilities, which may or may not be true.

There is clear evidence that B "must not be true", however there is no clear certainty of E being so. Also understand that desires are not actions, in fact in most of the cases what follow desires are actions :)

Hope this helps.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:03 pm
OA is B. Iceman is all over this one.

This is an LSAT question. I suspected that it might be sense it seemed very familiar. The reason that choice B "Attaining the goal of any desire results in momentary happiness" -- Cannot be true is that some desires are based on compulsions even when no happiness results. So therefore not all goals of desires bring happiness even when they are reached.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Sapana » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:46 pm
The Iceman wrote:
Sapana wrote:why not E? isn't it E too extreme to be true? what is OA?
I think you have not fully understood the problem statement itself. The question stem says "could be true EXCEPT" and not "must be true or inerred or concluded EXCEPT"

This means we should look for an answer choice, which must not be true. All other options would have to be possibilities, which may or may not be true.

There is clear evidence that B "must not be true", however there is no clear certainty of E being so. Also understand that desires are not actions, in fact in most of the cases what follow desires are actions :)

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your explanation. I missed the term COULD while reading through the passage and you perfectly caught me!