PT MBA on the East Coast...How do I look?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

PT MBA on the East Coast...How do I look?

by EatChain » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 pm
So here's where I stand.

I'm trying to get into a part time MBA program at either NYU, Columbia or Rutgers. I'm leaning more towards a supply chain concentration but I haven't really decided yet. I'm currently preparing to take the GMAT in the middle of August.

I'm a Purdue Engineer with a couple years of work experience in Supply Chain & Operations. I've been studying for the GMAT about two weeks now. I took the CAT exam without studying and got a 560. About a week and a half later I took it again and got a 620. I'm confident I can get 650+, however my GPA is only a 2.70.

Clearly this is my biggest pitfall. What chances do I have of getting in? Can I offset my GPA with my GMAT score?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sieken » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:15 pm
GPA isn't as big of an issue with PT as it is with FT. I applied and was waitlisted at Berkeley's PT program, and the 80% GPA range was 2.9 to 3.8, but required a stout GMAT (both roughly the same as NYU). I was invited to interview and the major piece of concern wasn't my 640 gmat or my 3.1 GPA, it was the years of experience I had. I only had 4 years of experience after undergrad and the average for the PT program was 7. They were very concerned about class fit. When I visited a class, everyone was indeed older than me, with families, and in a different stage of life. I ultimately got dinged after three rounds of waitlist, but I got into a good FT and I think is a far better match for what I'm looking for.

NYU, Columbia (no part time, only Executive), and Rutgers may be different than Berkeley regarding class fit, but I think if you position yourself within their 80% ranges of GMAT and GPA and take the time to make a stellar application, I think you'll have a great shot. I'd say you're a definite for Rutgers, but NYU may be harder unless you score a 700+ since your GPA is less than the 80% range.