PS Question help

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

PS Question help

by kkadvent » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 am
Thin Piece of wire 40 meters long is cut into 2 equal pieces. One piece is used to form a circle with radius r, and the other is used to form a square no wire is left over. Which of the following represents the total area in square meters of the circular and the square regions in terms of r.

I selected the answer as (pie)(r^2) + 1/4(pie^2)(r^2) but the answer says
(pie)(r^2) + (10 - 1/2 (pie)r)^2

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770

by HerrGrau » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:03 am
Hi K,

I hope that you are well. If you provide more of your work we could analyze what went wrong. Do you have a specific question on this?

HG.
"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and GMAT Tutoring: www.AtlanticGMAT.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:47 am
kkadvent wrote:Thin Piece of wire 40 meters long is cut into 2 equal pieces. One piece is used to form a circle with radius r, and the other is used to form a square no wire is left over. Which of the following represents the total area in square meters of the circular and the square regions in terms of r.

I selected the answer as (pie)(r^2) + 1/4(pie^2)(r^2) but the answer says
(pie)(r^2) + (10 - 1/2 (pie)r)^2
Here's the original question in its entirety:
A thin piece of wire 40 meters long is cut into two pieces. One piece is used to form a circle with radius r, and the other is used to form a square. No wire is left over. Which of the following represents the total area, in square meters, of the circular and the square regions in terms of r?

a) (pi)r^2
b) (pi)r^2 + 10
c) (pi)r^2 + (1/4)(pi)^2(r)^2
d) (pi)r^2 + [40 - 2(pi)r]^2
e) (pi)r^2 + [1O - (1/2)(pi)r]^2

Here's the algebraic approach:

Since r is the radius of the circle, the area of the circle will be (pi)r^2.

If r is the radius of the circle, the length of wire used for this circle will equal its circumference which is 2(pi)r

So, the length of wire to be used for the square must equal 40 - 2(pi)r

In other words, the perimeter of the square will be 40 - 2(pi)r

Since squares have 4 equal sides, the length of each side of the square will be [40 - 2(pi)r]/4, which simplifies to be 10 - (pi)r/2

If each side of the square has length 10 - (pi)r/2, the area of the square will be [10 - (pi)r/2]^2

So, the total area will equal (pi)r^2 + [10 - (pi)r/2]^2, which is the same as E

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by kkadvent » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:58 am
Thanks Brent!

HerrGrau,
I interpreted 40 meter cut into 2 equal pieces that's were it went wrong and selected incorrect answer (pie)(r^2) + 1/4(pie^2)(r^2).

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 am
A thin piece of wire 40 meters long is cut into two pieces. One piece is used to form a circle with radius r, and the other is used to form a square. No wire is left over. Which of the following represents the total area, in square meters, of the circular and the square regions in terms of r?

A. πr²
B. πr² +10
C. πr² + 1/4 π²r²
D. πr² + (40-2πr)²
E. πr² + (10 - (1/2)πr
Let the ENTIRE WIRE be used to form the square.
Then:
Perimeter of the square = 40.
Side = 10.
Area = 100.

Circle area + square area = 0 + 100 = 100. This is our target.
Since the circle has no area, r=0.
Now we plug r=0 into the answers to see which yields our target of 100.
Only E works:
πr² + (10 - (1/2)πr)² = π0² + (10 - (1/2)π0)² = 0 + 10² = 100.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3