Provocative?: guess all RC questions to save time on a test?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi Everyone!

I have a question regarding RC. I finally learned how to focus on RC questions:), however I still spend too much time on RC, because I believe that I understand the idea of the passage, I find that topic is familiar and that I can answer the questions correctly. Result is almost alwasy the same: I still make very many mistakes (I am a non-native speaker).
As a result, I am having problems finishing the last 10-12 Verbal questions. I have 2 questions to ask:

1. Does anyone know if GMAT questions that do not go towards your score always include RC questions?
2. Do you think it's a very bad idea just to guess on each RC question and move on without even reading the passages/answers? It would save so much time and energy to answer CR/SC questions.

Thank you,
Zhana

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by The Duke » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:58 am
Zhana

You should not guess on all of the RC passages. There are pro's for guessing if you fit the right mold of person for it, but guessing 14 questions is extremely bad, and your score will not benefit from that.

For me - I was a very slow reader (took away precious time from CR and SC) which I was better at. Only performed average on RC questions (under ideal circumstances).

I guessed on the 3rd passage and banked the extra time so I could perform strongly on the last 7 questions (higher probabality of not being experimental questions) with that extra 8minutes (since I didnt read that 3rd passage and quickly guessed 3-4 questions). Also, I benefited from knowing that I would most likely perform average again on the 4th RC set.

Remember that the RC questions for pasages 1 and 2... will be "worth" a bit more then the 3rd. The 4th I used as a buffer (it was around questions 27-30), to start a string of question at the end with more confidence since I knew I had sufficient time to answer them correctly with a high probability.

Followed by:1 members

by Zhana » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:28 am
Hi,

Thank you for reply...You answered both of my questions!! Since I am just getting started, I am trying to find easy ways to rich the higher score, but I guess only hard work pays you back. I will keep studying hard. I found your advice very helpful!

Many thanks,
Zhana

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by The Duke » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 am
No problem.

Also if your goal is to get 700+, I think a better strategy would be to work on improving RC.
It might be your biggest weakness on the verbal, so your margin for improvement could be the highest also.

by Jake Blues » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:03 am
Of course mentioned strategy is wrong.I mean not wrong but "Quid pro quo"(something for something) you will have to sacriface a certain part of your score.I believe that CAT's algoritm is very sophisticated and certainly "feels" the process,i mean that the code is written in way that just leaves no space for any kind of tricks,combinations,etc......