Property Taxes

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Property Taxes

by himu » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:59 pm
It is well known that many homeless people frequent public libraries as a kind of sanctuary. Now, several dozen public libraries across the country have made their facilities more useful to homeless people by offering free job training programs, for adults and free activities for homeless children. While the administrators of these libraries mean well, the homeless do not pay property taxes to support the library, so these people are getting something for nothing, a dangerous practice for all concerned.

Which of the following is assumed by the author of this argument?

None of the sales tax paid by homeless people who use the free services is used by the libraries.

The general public that uses the libraries does not mind the services provided to the homeless.

Many of the homeless people who use public libraries as sanctuaries check the library's local newspapers for job listings.

Some libraries that offer programs to the homeless cannot afford these programs.

Property taxes are used predominantly to support public libraries.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by deepikaraj » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:15 am
None of the sales tax paid by homeless people who use the free services is used by the libraries.

Nothing about sales tax in the paragraph.

The general public that uses the libraries does not mind the services provided to the homeless.

Irrelevant

Many of the homeless people who use public libraries as sanctuaries check the library's local newspapers for job listings.

Irrelevant. The author is taking about the university programs like training

Some libraries that offer programs to the homeless cannot afford these programs.

Now this can be the answer. However is this needed for the argument to hold? No

Property taxes are used predominantly to support public libraries.

This might be the answer. If the property taxes are not used t support the public libraries then paying the taxes does not matter. It will not help the libraries. a negation will collapse the argument.

Followed by:2 members

by Mission2012 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:42 am
Is answer A
If you find my post useful -> please click on "Thanks"

by himu » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 pm
Do u agree with the OA below ?

I dont !!! Nothing about SALES TAX is mentioned.Its clearly out of scope for me.....experts pls correct me if I am wrong. Further how much is sales tax of the entire amount ??? hardly 6-10% !
also as pointed out by deepikaraj out in E : Property taxes are used predominantly to support public libraries.
IF WE NEGATE IT THE CONCLUSION as it also mentions " the homeless do not pay property taxes to support the library," the *property taxes* of others is used .

Experts pls let me know ....thanks in advance.

[spoiler]Answer: A

Explanation: The author concludes that the homeless people are getting something for nothing because they don't pay property taxes which are used to support the library. However, if these people are paying other kinds of taxes, such as sales taxes, that ARE used to support the library, then they are not getting something for nothing. Thus, saying that the sales tax paid by homeless does not go to the library strengthens the position that homeless people are getting something for nothing.

(B) The attitudes of the general public do not figure into the scope of this argument.

(C) Whether some homeless people already make use of the library is irrelevant to the scope of this argument, which deals with the free programs.

(D) Though this evidence might be used to oppose the program, it does not support the conclusion that people are getting something for nothing.

(E) The author does believe that at least some property taxes are used to support public libraries, but we cannot say that the author assumes most of the taxes are used that way.

[/spoiler]

Followed by:2 members

by Mission2012 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 pm
It is well known that many homeless people frequent public libraries as a kind of sanctuary. Now, several dozen public libraries across the country have made their facilities more useful to homeless people by offering free job training programs, for adults and free activities for homeless children. While the administrators of these libraries mean well, the homeless do not pay property taxes to support the library, so these people are getting something for nothing, a dangerous practice for all concerned.

Which of the following is assumed by the author of this argument?

A>None of the sales tax paid by homeless people who use the free services is used by the libraries.

B>The general public that uses the libraries does not mind the services provided to the homeless.

C>Many of the homeless people who use public libraries as sanctuaries check the library's local newspapers for job listings.

D>Some libraries that offer programs to the homeless cannot afford these programs.

E>Property taxes are used predominantly to support public libraries.

Lets analyze the argument -

Conclusion - these people (homeless) are getting something (sleeping space, training etc) for nothing (as they are not paying wealth tax), a dangerous practice for all concerned.

Premise -
1. many homeless people frequent public libraries as a kind of sanctuary. several dozen public libraries across the country have made their facilities more useful to homeless people by offering free job training programs, for adults and free activities for homeless children.

2. the homeless do not pay property taxes to support the library

If i were making this argument, I need to make sure that there is no other way that homeless are contributing to the libraries. In option C, I come across Sales tax through which homeless are contributing to the libraries that provide them shelter. Hence is necessary assumption for my argument
If you find my post useful -> please click on "Thanks"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by beatthe800 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:19 am
I would go with E. Experts please comment.

I used negation technique so negate E would help to collapse argument.

Thanks-
Neil

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmat2805 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm
I also chose E . But OA is A. Experts please help.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by apoorva.rattan » Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm
Just out of curiosity - what is the Source of this question ?

by himu » Tue May 07, 2013 7:55 pm
Its a classic Veritas CR .
They are the best ones around...try them....if u can crack them, then m sure u can crack most CRs on the GMAT !

Here too, even though, I have put all my comments above, I re-read the argument(visited it after a while now) & now I feel A is the correct ans :)