pronouns

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

pronouns

by vipulgoyal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:13 am
Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power only after a long struggle by the native people.
Before its independence in 1947, Britain ruled India as a colony and they would relinquish power
Before independence in 1947, Britain had ruled India as a colony and relinquished power
Before its independence in 1947, India was ruled by Britain as a colony and they relinquished power
Before independence in 1947, India had been ruled as a colony by Britain, which relinquished power
Before independence in 1947, India had been a colony of the British, who relinquished power

first 2/3 split b/w its independence and independence
there is NO proper anticedent for its so left with option B,D and E
second split
in B improper comparision b/w participle and simple past
third split B/w D and E

I googled and found OE by Ron saying "ruled as a colony" is unclear.
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/bri ... t2008.html

OA says E , my query , how "who" can used for "British" representing a country though it should be used for person

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:43 am
vipulgoyal wrote:my query , how "who" can used for "British" representing a country though it should be used for person
In the OA, the British means THE BRITISH PEOPLE.
Hence, who can serve to refer to the British.

Analogous constructions:
governed by the French means governed by THE FRENCH PEOPLE.
conquered by the Spanish means conquered by THE SPANISH PEOPLE.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:00 pm
Hi vipulgoyal,

GMAT SCs often involve a variety of grammar rules (usually 2-4) to consider when evaluating the answer choices. The good news is that you don't need to know all of the rules to get the question correct. I approached this SC with the following rules:

1) Modificaiton - The opening phrase "before (its) independence in 1947," describes India, not Britain, so "India" must follow the comma. Eliminate A and B.

2) Verbs - The sentence refers to two past events: independence in 1947 and the rule/colony before that time. With two past events, we need the verb "had." Eliminate C.

3) Style/Redundancy - The first part of the sentence establishes that India became independent in 1947, which implies that it was NOT independent before that time. The phrase "had been RULED as a colony by Britain" is redundant. Redundant language is rarely correct (unless it's part of a comparison or parallelism rule). Eliminate D.

As such, I didn't have to think about the pronoun at all.

Final Answer: E
Contact Rich at [email protected]