Profile Review

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Review

by mygman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:10 am
First of all, thanks for your time and effort. I do need a big help on my profile.

Here is my profile:

Current City: Seould, Korea
Nationality: Korean
GMAT: 740 targeting 760
GPA: 3.6 from LSU with acct. major. Early Graduate (3 years and a full time scholarship)
Full Time Work Experience: about 3.0 years as of now
Application year: 2011
How far along in application process: Researching programs.

Work Experience : Worked in an Education sector in Korea. The reasons I worked in English education rather than financing or accounting area are two : 1. I had to support my family since my father passed away when I was in the college. Since working as an instructor proved a much higher salary (around $90,000) than most of the other sectors in Korea, I took the chance. 2. I was interested in teaching and researching because I've been teaching students since high school. The work involved teaching (with managing parents and students on daily basis), R&D work (for about 3months. included inventing and devoting materials to teachers and head office), and extra project (about 2 months. revised the online contents which targets an expected customer of 30,000 students in Korea). My performance was great that I significantly contributed attracting more students in a very competitive area. What I found during my work there is that education sector in Korea has a lot of potential as it proved to be beneficial even under the financial crisis. Yet, the managers of education industry showed relatively weak management skills to broaden their company or raise the quailty of the service.
My 2nd job is actually a duty in Korea, the military obligation. But, I'd like to use it as my strength because I'm working as an Army interpreter for high ranking officers (not generals though). This work involves translating during the meeting and assissting the officers publishing manuals that are necessary to Army. I could see how generals conduct meeting and how such a big organization flows from top to bottom. I rather find it very unique experience for me.
My ultimate goal is to manage big education company and bring foreign investment in Korea and even further to Asia. I'm very confident that Asia will be the main center of the education in the future and I want to be the one leading such a shift.

Extracurricular activities : Beta Alpha Psi, participated ni xACT competition (Acct. competition held by PwC) in my undergraduate, community service under Gen. Sharp's good neighbor program, etc.

I do believe that I have to put alot of efforts on the essay because I have relatively weak work experience to those of other applicants.

What do you think of my profile?
What is my chance to ge into the Top B-Schools in US?
Are there any suggestions you want to comment on my profile?

Thank you!
-James
Last edited by mygman on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:45 am
Dear mygman,

Perhaps. Your GMAT and GPA are competitive for any MBA program. What gives me pause is I don't know what you want to do post-MBA, so it is unclear what your rationale is for business school in relation to your past experience and future career goals. Assuming you have a solid rationale and will effectively convey it through a strong set of essays, then you have a chance at a top MBA program.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mygman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:36 pm
I edited my profile so that you may have a clearer understanding of my situtation.
The problem I'm facing with my essay is that I can't find an effective way to reflect my interest and passion for b-school. I'll have to work on the essay to show my past experience does have impact on me to pursue an MBA degree. Any suggestions that I might take into consideration?
Thanks again! :D

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:17 am
From what you posted, it sounds like you need an MBA to serve as a springboard into a big education company and to learn how to appeal to investors. Perhaps that helps for your essay?
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me