Profile Review Please

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Review Please

by shwetamukesh » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:36 am
Hello,

I graduated from UC San Diego in June 2011. I majored in Economics and International Studies with a 3.55 GPA. I graduated one year early and won all the major department and university awards at the time of my graduation.

I had decided in sophomore year of college that I needed more clarity in regards to career. I knew I wanted to eventually work in development or start ups in the social sector (I loved business). Therefore, during my 3 years at UCSD I explored different avenues that had powerful impacts on society- law, think tanks, politics, media, corporates, and NGOs. I had interned at an immigration law firm, headed a research project funded by the Gates Foundation, was on the executive board of a journal and grew its presence to 163 countries, helped produce a TV show for NDTV (one of India's largest networks), worked on environmental rehabilitation in Belize etc. Yet, I was still not sure what I wanted to do.
As a result, I wanted to step out of the comfort of the academic bubble and start working.

I turned down jobs at BCG, Morgan Stanley, etc. and moved to India. I spent a month talking to people in every industry and reflecting on my strengths, interests, and skills. I realized that I loved consulting and start up work culture. In October 2011, I joined a company called Policy Innovations. I currently work there as a Principal Consultant. I am managing three projects: John Hopkins University, the government of Assam, and Seasame. I have also been working extensively with data analysis, strategy development, operations, client management, marketing, and people management (one of the projects I am managing involves coordinating with over 40 surveyors and 4,000 children).

I like PI because as a 21 year old, I have been able to deal directly with clients, publish reports, work on business strategy, cloud, and large volumes of data. The exposure has been phenomenal and the learning is fantastic. Plus India is a dynamic work environment.

I want to apply to Business School in October 2012. I want to apply to: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and Columbia.
I will be taking the GMAT in March. In general I am comfortable with standardized tests.

I was wondering if my profile is strong enough for these schools. Would I need to have an extra year or two of work experience?
Thank you so much for your time,
Shweta

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:47 am
Dear Shweta,

It is hard to say if your profile is competitive as it is incomplete. You certainly have some positives in that you have a 3.55 GPA and are gaining quality work experience at PI. Whether or not you should apply to business school later this year depends on you--do you feel you are ready? why is it the right time in your career rather than working another 1-2 years? It is different for every applicant, so as long as you have a solid rationale for when you are applying, then there is no reason for you to wait to apply to simply add years to your work experience. Having said that, you should also not rush to business school if you have professional opportunities available that are beneficial to your growth for the long-term. See where your career is and how you feel by July/August...you should have a better sense for what is currently happening at PI then.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me