profile evauation; gmat-700; gpa-2.93; work-ex-6years

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
hi

kindly evaluate my profile with respect to b-schools mentioned below and also refer my weaknesses and strengths.

my gmat score is 700 - quant-92 essay-77 english-74
gpa - 2.93 (civil engineering)

nationality - indian

work-ex -
General Manager - 6 years - in an autonomous govt. corporation (transport sector)- it includes
- supervising 600 employees everyday
- with 110 vehicle fleet
- expert in negotiations
- handled trade union strikes several times (five major trade unions including all india trade union congress, indian national trade union congress)
- taken policy decisions at state level including policy formulation
- major role in budgetary cuts/ increased revenue receipts

family background -
father - could not afford to study beyond 10th grade - successful in property business (achiever regardless of all hurdles)
brother - successful lawyer
mother - not employed

extra-curricular -
wildlife enthusiast - participated in various wildlife census

schools applying for -
harvard
tuck
chicago booth
stanford
georgetown mcdonough
tepper
cornell

any good schools which i have missed keeping in view my profile?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:17 am
Dear Sartaj,

Your work experience is an asset to your profile, as it is different from the majority of Indian applicants. You have gained substantial experience in your tenure, so I encourage you to use your professional experiences managing people and projects to your advantage. Relative to the applicant pool, your GPA is low and your GMAT is average, so these measures are not really strengthening your application. Likewise, you do not list much in terms of extracurricular/community activities since college. On the surface, which is what the profile posted is, I think you are in the competitive range for the schools you list, but these are reach programs. All are highly selective with large applicant pools; thus you must use the unique aspects of your background to stand out and make a compelling case for admission to give yourself the best chance. If you are going to change or add schools, I would encourage you to add schools that would be more reasonable to safety options as that spreads your risk and increases the likelihood you will be in business school next year. For tips on identifying schools, you might read our sticky on school selection.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Sartaj » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 pm
thank you for such a quick response. i also visited your website to check out your services. let me think about it for some time.