Profile Evaluation: To retake GMAT?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation: To retake GMAT?

by monologue » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:24 am
Hi,

Target schools: Harvard, Wharton, Columbia, INSEAD, and IMD.

I recently took my first GMAT exam (680; Q 68% (44), v 89% (40)) and am deciding whether I should take another GMAT or go ahead with the application process. Most of my friends say that although my score is less than each of these schools' averages I should focus on writing killer essays rather than spending time on another exam. Having a demanding full-time job means spending 30 hours (out of 120 that I should have until November for R2) on studying GMAT rather than working on the essays. On the other hand, I believe a score of 700 is achievable.

My current thoughts are that my Q score is too low, and that I will not be able to use my grades from college courses to compensate (taking additional courses now is also not a viable option). My work, however, requires intensive use of math (financial modeling and valuation, for example). On the bright side my V score is very high compared to my compatriots and other Asian candidates. Could this be viewed favorably by adcoms?

What would be your suggestion? A retake of GMAT?

Additional Information:

GPA: 3.1 (about 85th percentile) from one of the Thailand's best two schools
Work experience: 6.5 years (at matriculation)
Industry: Extensive exposure to banking, corporate finance, M&A and agribusiness.
Employers: European companies
Leadership: Country representative for a regional leadership initiative, Solid leadership roles across international offices. Trusted and promoted to lead most of the staff who are more senior and possess higher qualifications.
I participated in a number of extracurricular activities including volunteer work during college (I have continued the latter, although on a sporadic basis).

Your help is much appreciated.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:05 am
Monologue -

My question back to you is: "How certain are you that you can improve your GMAT Q score?" The other statistics and dimensions of your application are strong and can probably yield good essays, but they do not seem especially stellar. Because your GMAT is below the average for schools you intend to target, I think retaking your GMAT to exceed the average might make sense. I know of people who improved 40 points and feel that it helped. It really comes down to whether or not you believe you can improve the score 30 points or more.

If you ultimately decide not to go this route, be sure to have your professional recommendations talk about your quantitative skills. Also, because you will have more years of professional tenure than most students applying to some of these schools (HBS in particular) be very clear about why you need an MBA now and how it will help your career trajectory.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process