Profile Evaluation, thx.

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation, thx.

by Orangeman » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:04 pm
Hi, there. I want my profile to be evaluated before I send out my applications.

Syracuse University
Finance and Marketing majors
Graduate in May, 2009
GPA(Overall): 3.4/4.0
Finance:3.4
Marketing: 3.4

GMAT:
Q: 42 (63%)
V: 27(43%)
Total: 570
Writing: 4.5/6

Program I am applying: MS in Finance
School List: Johns Hopkins, Princeton, GWU, Fordham and Syracuse

I am an international student from Taiwan and I have already taken my GMAT twice. The results came out to be the same. I figured that taking it again wouldn't really change anything since deadlines for those school are Dec. 1.
I have no full-time working experiences, all I had done are interns for a Venture Capital and an accounting firm back home.

Achievements: 4 straight semesters Dean's List
Extracurricular: Investment club, tutor

I wonder if I should change my school list or what not since my GMAT is nowhere close to the 600 mark. Any way for me to make it to my dream school w/o retakingthe GMAT?

Thanks.

Charles W.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:52 pm
Dear Charles,

It is hard to say what your chances are for these MS Finance programs. Candidates for MS programs are evaluated a little differently than for MBA programs. Likewise, many schools do not publish class statistics for MS programs like they do for MBA programs. I do agree that it is not worth taking your GMAT for a third time and better to channel your energy into your applications. Present the strongest package possible and let the chips fall where they may.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:52 am
Hey orange,

Based on some recent conversations with MS grads in Philly, I would have to agree with Lisa. MBA programs look at your professional experience as well as your GMAT and essays. I would say that GMAT and essays are tied for second most important.

MS programs, on the other hand, look at your GPA and references for evidence of academic potential. The GMAT is very important if you have lower grades and relatively average academic references. Otherwise, MS programs pay a lot of attention to your essays to understand why you want to get a specialized degree rather than a general business education (MBA, MSBM).

I would suggest that you get a letter from a former professor and former employer/present employer.

Also, really emphasize the connection between an MSF and your post-MSF goals. Make sure that you are as specific as possible. Don't just say that you want to go into investment banking. Instead, tell adcoms that you would like to go into personal wealth management within Goldman, Stanley, Lazard, etc. That, of course, is just an example; I don't know what you want to go into.

If you wish, utilize the optional essay to explain how your GMAT does not do you justice --> point to your academic performance (your GPA is average for MSF, so point out specific classes that had a quant component or classes that required a lot of critical reasoning, such as philosophy), specific tough classes in which you performed above average, tell them about that senior thesis you might have written or a paper you collaborated on with a professor or classmate.

Good luck!