Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by Sedate » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:58 am
Hello Stacy or Amy,

I don't actually plan on applying for a MBA until the 2010 admissions because I just graduated from undergrad. If it's not too much trouble, could you please give me an assessment of how my profile may fare in 2 years time? :)

Undergrad school: Fourth-tier state school in CT (as ranked by U.S. News as 'less selective')
Finance/Accounting double major in 3 1/2 years
GPA: 3.85 (had one withdrawal on transcript, retook some classes, one class I retook twice :x. None of them were even hard, just from slacking off in freshman year.)
GMAT: 720 (48Q and 40V)

Work experience prior to graduation:
1 and a half year in an accounting co-op at IBM

Work experience by application date:
2 years of work experience at a Fortune 100 insurance company in an accounting rotation program where rotations last one year (within HMO accounting, Investment Management accounting, etc.)

Will have in 2 years time (hopefully):
Passed CPA exams and have necessary auditing hours
Passed CFA Level I and II
MS in Accounting at University of Connecticut

How do factors like undergrad school reputation and retaking classes to lift GPA affect my profile? Do professional certifications like the CPA and CFA or other masters like in accounting help with the MBA admission process? I plan on shooting for Columbia. In fact, I am looking into getting admissions consulting from your firm for Columbia sometime down the line. Is getting consulting better when closer to the actual application time or is any time good?

I really appreciate your time. Thank you.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:52 pm
Hi Sedate,

A lot can happen in two years, so it is difficult to predict how your profile will look. With the information you have provided I would suggest rounding out your application by becoming involved in a significant extracurricular activity and taking a leadership position. You will want to establish your potential to be a great manager and leader.

Your academics sound very solid - a GPA of 3.85 is certainly nothing to worry about, and your GMAT is strong. School reputation could play a factor in evaluating the strength of your academics, but you certainly may have had reasons that you couldn't attend an Ivy, and I would focus on the areas you can change rather than those that are in the past.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting