Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

profile evaluation

by islandgurl918 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Topic: profile evaluation
Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:41 pm
Hello,

I'm looking to gauge the realistic chances of getting acceptance into some of my target schools when I apply this year (2010). I would like to apply in round 1 and have listed below my work and volunteer experience, as well as important stats.

Graduated UC Berkeley with a degree in Mass Communications, GPA of 3.5
Worked for Nielsen Mobile-Production Associate (07-08)
LookSmart (Account Coordinator then Promoted to Account Manager of Western Region) (08-09)
Pandora Radio (Campaign Manager-Inside Sales) (09-Present)

GMAT: 630
Marketing Chair-Northern Ca Chapter of 85 Broads; I help to promote and market all our events, geared towards professional women in all industries.
Other stats: 24 year old Chinese-Fijian American, female

I would like to apply to these schools based on my campus visits and their various offerings and programs:

1) USC
2) UCLA
3) Georgetown
4) UC Irvine
5) Georgia Tech
6) Haas

Please advise!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:29 pm
islandgurl918 -

Hi! Thanks for your questions.

I feel that your professional experience to date should be an asset when applying to business school. The key will be explaining what unique aspects you can bring to the classroom discussions and really explaining why business school is the key next step in your career progression.

The 85 Broads extracurricular involvement should be a plus.

Obviously your GMAT is on the lower end of the spectrum and your undergraduate GPA is about average in a non-quantitative field, so I would be curious to know if you may be willing to take a community college class this Fall to shore up these dimension of your profile.

Of the six schools you mention, UCLA, USC, and Haas are more "reaches" for you, but the other three schools seem like they are within range.

Good luck -
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process