Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by willshu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:38 pm
Can someone please give me some feedback on my potential candidacy? I am also looking for some advice about which MBA admissions consultants to use. There are a ton of them out there and I have no idea who is legit or not.

I am only interested in top 10 American b schools. I would also like to know if I should re-take the GMAT. I didn't do that well on the quant, but I have a strong finance background.

GMAT - 720 (44Q/44V) (quant is 70% percentile!)
Undergrad - Northwestern (3.5)
Work experience
-5 years at Morgan Stanley (analyst / associate) - 3 years in New York, 2 in London. Started in M&A and then switched into the securitization principal finance team (which bought loans and re-packaged them as opposed to purely underwriting securities).
-1 year at a top global hedge fund focused on distressed debt. The core team left and started its own fund which I am currently at.
-2.5 years at current fund - same strategy as before, distressed debt, illiquid credit securities. I am a founder and significant equity partner in the fund

I want to go to b school to change career paths. I am strongly considering working for my family business in Asia (a large food products concern) and think that business school would allow me to learn about marketing/management and how companies are actually run, as opposed to evaluating them on a purely financial basis.

What do you guys think?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by THuebner » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:02 am
Hi -

Your profile looks strong as far as work experience and education are concerned. I wouldn't worry about retaking the GMAT - a 720 is fine, and given your finance background, the lower quant score won't be a concern. You also went to a good undergrad, which always helps.

You don't mention ECs. If you're looking at one of the top full-time programs, that's definitely something they look at, i.e. how involved you are in things outside of work. Do you have any community activities to speak of? Or hobbies or other outside interests?

As far as your goals are concerned, just make sure you talk about your transferable skills. It makes sense for you to say you want to go work for the family business, but make the "why" of that clear, talk about your current skills and then the gaps in knowledge that need to be addressed via an MBA.

As for consultants, since I *am* one, I won't give you any specifics on that. My only advice to you would be to go with someone who's been in the business a while. It seems like every year some new outfit crops up, and then they're gone within a year. This is definitely an area where experience is helpful.

Good luck!

best,
Tasha
Tasha Huebner
B-School Essays, Inc.
www.bschoolessays.com
[email protected]
773 477 3843 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              773 477 3843      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:26 pm
Yup - I agree with Tasha.

Additionally, talk to a couple of admissions consultant over the phone. Most of them would be happy to have a 30-minute conversation. It is extremely important that you get along with your consultant as well. Go for the consultant who is looking out for your best interest and provides genuine value. Every candidate has special needs and each candidate is unique - make sure your consultant isn't giving your a 'class or group' treatment.

Consultants who are straight talkers will push you and bring out the best in you. Long term consultants have wealth of experience on what works and what does not work - make use of the guidance you receive.

Lastly, you want to be in place where you are challenged - so find someone who encourages yet keeps you grounded.

Good Luck!
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31