Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by GMATaGoGo » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:23 am
First, I just want to thank beat-the-gmat and the whole MBA community for putting together such a wonderful site for MBA applicants. I've personally found this site to be very useful. Thanks!
Now on with business. Can I get a profile evaluation please?

Here are a few quick stats about me:
27yr old Asian Male
Gmat: 730 quant 48 verbal 42
Undergrad GPA 3.36 as a Marketing Major
Worked for the last 4 years as a Trading Assistant on a Fixed-Income desk.
EC: Not much in college, was in a Honors and Leadership Pilot Program
EC: Post College -
1)Organize and am team captain of company cycling team for the
NYC Century Bike Tour in September. Also convinced company to
sponsor our team. Goal is to personally fundraise a total of $1000,
which I will probably meet.
2)Member of a Kung Fu School, Participate in Dragon and Lion dance
shows
3)Mentor to a high school student

I want to pursue a career in finance as a trader on a Fixed-Income Desk. I understand that my main weakness is my career progression. But it's difficult to do something about that. It's not like I can ask to be promoted just so I can apply to BSchool? It's also difficult because of the crisis on wall-street. One thing I have going for me is that I joined my current firm when it was a start-up. I was the 4th person on the desk. So I was pretty involved in the development of the firm, which I will try to emphasize in my essays.

My number one choice is Columbia Early Decision 2010. One of my question is that in my essays, should I state that Columbia is my number one choice or is that already obvious since I am applying to their Early Decision application?
My second choice is NYU 2010, Round 1.
What do you think are my chances to both schools? And what advice would you give for improvements?

I've also started a MBA blog to chronicle my applicant experience.
https://xlick.blocked/

Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by HelenF » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm
Hello and thanks for your question.

The two things which jump out at me are your lack of involvement in extra-curriculars during undergrad and, as you say, your apparent lack of career progression.

Re undergrad: is there anything at all you talk about that you did outside studying? What did the leadership pilot program involved? Were you a TA or a tutor? Being able to say something about involvement outside academics will be valuable. Your ex-c's while working will be helpful, especially if they are fairly substantial and you've particiapted in them for a period of time, but the schools also need to feel that you will be an active member of their community, not someoen who will only be involved in the classroom.

Re your career: progression doesn't have to be just about job titles. Have your responsibilites grown? Have you supported new hires? Certainly, stressing your involvement in helping to establish the firm will be important. Also, have the present situation and cut backs led to you taking on more responsibilities and activities. You haven't got much time between now and submitting an application, but could you talk to your boss about opportunities for getting involved in things and taking on more responsibility. In a situation where everyone is feeling under pressure, an offer to help her/him and the firm may be welcomed.

I hope this is helpful.

Helen
Helen Foster | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com

by GMATaGoGo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:31 am
Thank you. This is very helpful.
The reason I wasn't involve much in my undergrad was because I also worked part-time at a deaf institution. That was a paid position, so I wasn't sure if I should put that under volunteer.
As for my job, my firm was a start-up when I joined. I believe my work outweighs my job title as far as working on projects and helping to develop our business. I'm going to try to stress this in my essays.

by HelenF » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:52 am
I'm glad my reply was helpful.

I've realised that I didn't address your question about telling Columbia that it's your first choice. You don't have to tell them (and simple statments to that effect tend to get taken with a pinch of salt), but you do need to show them. This means showing that you've really made the effort to get to know the school and clearly demonstrating why it's the right place for you to do your MBA.

Helen

by GMATaGoGo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:26 am
I have already made numerous contacts and visits with the school. I definitely plan on making myself known to them and showing them "luv." And even in the rough draft of my essays, it is clear that I've done a ton of research on the school and its curriculum. I was really specific as far as classes I want to take and professors I want to learn from.

by HelenF » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:40 am
Great. That substantial knowledge and research should communicate your enthusiasm for the school in a pwerful way.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Joe@VeritasPrep » Fri May 01, 2009 2:41 pm
The only thing that I would add is that you should absolutely note the fact that you worked for a deaf institution while in college. That shows that you did something significant other than just study. It is also impressive that you worked there (depending on your specific duties) and it gives you something more you can discuss in your essays and interviews.
I hope that this was helpful.

Joe Farr | Veritas Prep GMAT Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com

by GMATaGoGo » Mon May 04, 2009 8:16 am
I worked as a marketing assistant in the Foundation office, which raises money and gives away scholarships to deaf students. My responsiblities include helping with surveys and fundraising events. Worked there part-time for 4 years, basically throughout my college career.

I wasn't going to mention that in my essays since it was nearly 4 years ago. I have more recent and relevant interesting experiences to topic. But I wanted to include it as part of my work experience. What do you think?