Profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

Profile evaluation

by mumbaijourno » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:34 am
Hello!
I'm looking at a general MBA and my top schools in order are: Haas, Anderson, Stern and Kellogg.

The highlights of my application are:
26, Indian female, journalist
BE in Information Tech from Mumbai University (3.5 GPA)
Partial credit towards an MS in Comp Sci from San Francisco State (3.66 GPA)
GMAT 710 (Q47, V40)
Nearly 3 years work experience in journalism where I've covered food and wine (at burrp!), Asia markets (at Thomson Reuters) and now Mumbai city, entertainment and Bollywood (at the Hindustan Times). I've also written for Vogue and GQ
Volunteered at the Bombay Natural History Society (3 months), help build houses for Habitat For Humanity on the outskirts of Mumbai and currently teaching underprivileged city children at an NGO

How realistic are my chances at these schools? Honest feedback will be very appreciated.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:35 am
Hey there,

From a profile perspective, you've got most of the bases covered. You have an interesting background, solid stats (congrats on the GMAT score), and a diverse set of extracurriculars. In all honesty, this is all fine on paper.

The big question for you will become why you want an MBA. Your ability to put forward compelling applications to each of these programs will be a balance between your unique experiences and a darn good reason you want an MBA. Don't get me wrong, there are journalists in MBA programs but they've made a case for why an MBA is the right step for them.

So in other words, your trump card (i.e. different background than most) could be a double edged sword BUT I think as long as you've got your story nailed down, you've got a good shot.

Clearly you've put thought into why an MBA given you've chosen some specific programs so if you'd like to elaborate on why you're looking at this degree, let me know and we can chat about it!

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by ErinaApphelp » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:55 pm
Hi,

You have interesting and diverse profile. With the given information, the list of your b-schools should be within your reach. The chances of admission in these b-schools will depend on well written application essays and interviews. You may try your chances in b-school(s) by clicking https://goo.gl/onTKu

To get some more clarity on b-school application process and inputs from top b-school grads, kindly attend the webinar conducted by b-school alumnus. For more information and to register your name, click https://tinyurl.com/orhuqum

Regards
Erina

mumbaijourno wrote:Hello!
I'm looking at a general MBA and my top schools in order are: Haas, Anderson, Stern and Kellogg.

The highlights of my application are:
26, Indian female, journalist
BE in Information Tech from Mumbai University (3.5 GPA)
Partial credit towards an MS in Comp Sci from San Francisco State (3.66 GPA)
GMAT 710 (Q47, V40)
Nearly 3 years work experience in journalism where I've covered food and wine (at burrp!), Asia markets (at Thomson Reuters) and now Mumbai city, entertainment and Bollywood (at the Hindustan Times). I've also written for Vogue and GQ
Volunteered at the Bombay Natural History Society (3 months), help build houses for Habitat For Humanity on the outskirts of Mumbai and currently teaching underprivileged city children at an NGO

How realistic are my chances at these schools? Honest feedback will be very appreciated.

Thanks!
GMAT-720
Undergrad- Top 5 college in India
MBA- Top 15 FT ranking b-school
Free Profile Evaluation- https://www.apphelp.co.in/