Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Profile Evaluation

by eparjn » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:57 am
Hello and thanks for your input. I’m wondering if you can help me figure out the strength of my candidacy. A little bit about me:My questions to you:
1) Will the recommendation situation hurt me, or will admissions officers understand my circumstances if explained in optional essays/comments?
2) My top 10 looks like this (in this order): Wharton, HBS, Kellogg, Chicago, Tuck, Columbia, Sloan, Stern, Stanford, Yale…Is this list reasonable, given my credentials?
3) I’ve considered taking the GMAT again, as I am confident in my ability to score 750. I know that a 720 won’t necessarily keep me out of any schools, but would a 750 get me into any of them?
4) Would I be better suited waiting a year to apply?

I have a list of safety schools, but obviously I would like to get into the top 10 schools.

I appreciate your input.

Thanks again!
Last edited by eparjn on Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:28 pm
Dear eparjn,

I think you have a competitive profile for many schools, so you should apply to those that you feel are the best match for your career goals. However, I am also a big believer in applying to at least one safety school as a backup plan. To address your questions:

1) Will the recommendation situation hurt me, or will admissions officers understand my circumstances if explained in optional essays/comments?
Admissions officers understand this situation which is quite common; just be sure to include an explanation.

2) My top 10 looks like this (in this order): Wharton, HBS, Kellogg, Chicago, Tuck, Columbia, Sloan, Stern, Stanford, Yale…Is this list reasonable, given my credentials?
It's reasonable, but long and does not include a real safety school. I would suggest paring it down to 5-6 schools and adding a safety school to the mix

3) I’ve considered taking the GMAT again, as I am confident in my ability to score 750. I know that a 720 won’t necessarily keep me out of any schools, but would a 750 get me into any of them?
Schools do not admit on GMAT alone, so it is hard to say if that would be the difference maker; if you think you can do better, then take it again. A higher score will never hurt you. Worst case scenario--apply with a 720, which ain't too shabby.

4) Would I be better suited waiting a year to apply?

That's something only you can decide. If you feel you are ready now, then apply now. If you believe you will have some career progression in the next year or two, then it might be better to wait.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me