Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

profile evaluation

by scud » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:17 am
hey please look into my profile ....

I am an INDIAN male

GMAT SCORE---680 (48/35)

GRADUATION --- B-Tech (in Information Technology) with 75% ( considering my university toppers get around 83%)

SSC(10th)---87%

HSC(12th)---80%

I am affiliated to an NGO that helps orphan children.

I have been into my family business for 1 year. The company deals with pneumatic and electrical tools, we do import and exports and have dealers in Japan and US, but still i don't think university people will consider this as a valid work exp.

I have decent extra-ciriculars( college football team, dance comp, governer award in 'scouts and guides' , black belt in karate, many certificates in atheletics etc)

regarding my choice of location----i am looking for MBA in Marketing in a US B-School.....

i want a big favour from you....can you please suggest me 5 US B-schools i can safely apply to.....and yeah also if u think some other B-School (not in US) will suit me.....then pls do inform me about that also...

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:35 pm
Hi S -

Thanks for your post. As you probably know, its hard to gauge your candidacy into these MBA programs based on profile/stats, as much of the decision is based on your essays, LORs, interview performance. That said - here is my feedback.

Overall, you are (unfortunately) in one of the most competitive applicant pool - Indians with IT/Engineering background. Therefore your biggest challenge is how to best differentiate yourself. What makes you different from the thousands of Indian applicants that will apply to the same schools with similar stats?

Also, if you are interested in a top 25 MBA program, your GMAT is slightly lower than those in your peer group. Depending on your school choice, you may consider retaking the test if you can score in the 700s

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep