Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by arthi » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:30 pm
Hi,

I just gave my GMAT and scored a 690.

I am a female applicant, Indian origin , currently in the US for the last 3 years. Background - Computer Science Engg.

I have a about 7.5 yrs of work exp in IT of which 3 years are in the US.

I plan to apply to NYU, Columbia, Cornell and Darden.

How would you rate my profile and my chances?
Am I being over-ambitious if I am shooting for a scholorship. ?
Finally, I am 30 married with 2 kids, does that affect my chances of being accepted ?

Thank you for your time,

Re: Profile Evaluation

by boatracers » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:20 pm
Hi Arthi,

The GMAT is just one component of an application packet. There are other relevant components such as GPA, work experience, extracurricular activities, college attended, etc.

There are many sources that will give you a good idea of the ranges of GPA/GMAT/Work experience for the schools that you are applying.

690 is a decent GMAT score, but it is lower than the AVERAGE of those schools. I am sure that there are people well above and below those averages that get in.

Build your story, work on your essays, and if you believe there is a compelling reason for you to get in give it a shot. The only sure way that you won't get in is to not apply.

Good luck!

Paul
[email protected]
www.EssayMatch.com
arthi wrote:Hi,

I just gave my GMAT and scored a 690.

I am a female applicant, Indian origin , currently in the US for the last 3 years. Background - Computer Science Engg.

I have a about 7.5 yrs of work exp in IT of which 3 years are in the US.

I plan to apply to NYU, Columbia, Cornell and Darden.

How would you rate my profile and my chances?
Am I being over-ambitious if I am shooting for a scholorship. ?
Finally, I am 30 married with 2 kids, does that affect my chances of being accepted ?

Thank you for your time,

by arthi » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:11 pm
Thanks Paul.

I have looked at several books to get an idea of work-exp/GPA /GMAt scores. But the information is not usually what the schools report on their website.
Can you point me to a good source to do a comparison or get a good idea on the schools requirement.

Thanks again for the reply.

by arthi » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:21 pm
Thanks Paul.

I have looked at several books to get an idea of work-exp/GPA /GMAt scores. But the information is not usually what the schools report on their website.
Can you point me to a good source to do a comparison or get a good idea on the schools requirement.

Thanks again for the reply.