Profile Evaluation !!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation !!

by saswatnayak » Tue May 15, 2012 7:15 am
HI ,

I will be applying to colleges this year for 2013 fall session .

I gave my GMAT on September 2010 and scored 710 . Break up --
Quants - 49
Verbal - 38
AWA - 4.5

Do you think i should retake the GMAT for 2 reasons -- The score is 2 yrs old ( although the scores are valid for 5 Yrs). Second reason is i am confident of improving my score to 740. Will improving the score help me or it can play down showing immaturity on my side to retake the GMAT for additional 30-40 points .

My profile --

I an Indian Male of 26 years of age and presently have 3yrs 10 months of total work experience .

Academics & Professional--

Graduated as BTECH in CIVIL Engineering in 2008 From National Institute of Technology - Allahabad ( Ranked in Top 10 Engineering Institute in India)

CGPA - 7.85/10 -- 9th Rank in the batch

Joined Reliance Infrastructure LTD. - ( power Sector) July 2008- March 2011 .

Roles & responsibilities - ( Assistant Manager( civil) - Engineering-Project Management Team)
"¢ Guiding the efforts of 80 people as part of a larger team implementing India's first Ultra Mega Power Plant (3960 MW) at Sasan Madhya Pradesh of a project cost of USD 4.45 billion.
"¢ Lead a team of 5 member to set-up project's In-house design capabilities.

IN April, 2011 Shifted my Job and Joined Procter & Gamble Home Products LTD. as Associate Manager -- ASIA Facilities Engineering

Roles & Responsibilities -
"¢ Solely Responsible to cover task within the Civil /Structural /Architectural Technologies to deliver best value Facility solutions across different Global Business Units in India .
"¢ Presently Working And Managing Multiple suppliers in India & overseas to use the best value Engineering services to deliver the project Objectives .

Extra Curricular Activities --

"¢ Was appointed as Sports Captain of the college ( 2007-2008) and Vice captain (2006-2007) responsible for conducting college sports events, preparing yearly budget and making sure its spent judiciously
"¢ Was elected as Head of Disciplinary Committee of the college in 2007-2008 responsible for maintaining overall decorum of the college .
"¢ Core -coordinator of AVISHKAR ( National Technical Festival ) & CULRAV ( National Cultural Festival)
"¢ Was in charge of conducting training programs for young engineers in reliance Infrastructure.
"¢ Won First Prize in the National Level Technical Festival in the year 2006
"¢ Played Under -19 District Level Cricket in the year 2001
"¢ Won Bronze medal in Junior National Level in Martial Arts in the year 1998

Community Activities -- Very few and not very noteworthy
Has been involved in setting up a small teaching session for poor Kids after college hours during Undergrad College
During previous job , i was involved with a NGO to help teach poor kids and organize some events for them during the weekends .

Please let me know what are my chances for the below mentioned schools and what can i improve in my profile in next 2-3 months .

Target Schools --
Kellog
Duke
LBS
Ross
HASS
Johnson

Thanks & Regards
Saswat

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Wed May 16, 2012 3:21 am
Hi, Saswat,

Thanks for your post. GMAT scores are good for 5 years so your score from 2 years ago would still be valid. At the same time, many people take the GMAT more than once, so if you feel that you can improve that much, there is no concern doing so. It seems that you would have good work experience to focus on in your application. Are there examples of leadership and softer management skills you can point to? Can you develop those skills further before you apply? You don't mention your career goals post MBA. Think about what skills and experiences you have that are transferable to that career path. Make sure you highlight only your recent (within the last 3 years) volunteer work and/or extra-curriculars. If you are able to take on some volunteer work now, make sure it is genuine and you are actively involved. You may also want to point to a relevant personal story if you are lacking in this area. For the programs you listed, you should be in their academic range. At the same time, it will be important for you to tell a compelling story about where you want to go in your career, your skills and experiences to date, and why you need an MBA. You want to differentiate yourself from similar applicants and demonstrate your well-rounded abilities. It will also be important for you to demonstrate fit with the programs you apply to, so you really need to nail down why you need an MBA.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by saswatnayak » Wed May 16, 2012 8:08 am
Susan ,

Thanks for your reply .I believe i can give some good examples of Leadership & softer management skills from my present and previous jobs .
At present i am figuring out what community service i can get involved into to make an actual impact but the problem i am facing is my present Job demands lot of travel and i aam not sure how much time , i will be able to devote .

Regards
Saswat