Profile Evaluation Request

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by itsvkc » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:44 am
I request you to kindly evaluate my profile and let me know which B-schools in the US would be best suited for me.

GMAT
GMAT: 720 (94 percentile)
Quant: 49 (86 percentile)
Verbal:39 (87 percentile)
AWA: 5.5.

Work Profile
5 years plus experience currently in the Indian Internet Space.
I head a Business Unit for my current company where I report directly to the CEO.
1 year of my professional life has been as an entrepreneur.

Education
2 year Post Graduate Diploma in Mass Communication
3 year Bachelor of Science
Academic scores are average at best

My Post MBA goal: To get into a consulting role.
Long term goal: To be an entrepreneur.

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:53 pm
Hello itsvkc, thanks for your question.

Your academic grades might be a challenge to overcome (what exactly are they?), but your GMAT is solid and your work experience seems solid. But, it really comes down to the quality of your leadership experience. Have you influenced organizations, driven results, taken initiative? It seems like you would have the experiences to draw from in this respect.

You did not mention extracurricular activities. What have you done in this arena?
Because you have strong work experience, I think admissions committees might ask if you really need an MBA to pursue your career goals. You have run a business unit - what do you need from business school to pursue management consulting and entrepreneurship? You will have to make a case that you truly require business school to overcome the obstacles that currently stand in the way of your goals.

I cannot provide a detailed handicap of your chances at programs without more information. I'm happy to comment a bit further with additional data. In terms of school choice, in general, I always encourage applicants to choose programs that fulfill their professional needs and provide a good culture fit. I encourage you to research and identify programs that speak to you in this regard.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php