Profile Evaluation Request

by shyamprasadrao » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:32 pm
2006 - B.Tech (Biotechnology) - 8.65/10
GMAT 760

Working in a IT MNC since June 06
Onsite Experience (US) - Dec 08 to date
Multinational team - Eastern europeans, Asians & South Americans

2009-
Learnt Spanish Foreign Language to manage operations team in Argentina/Brazil.

2011-
Completed Six Sigma Black Belt from ASU March, to develop turn key production for Analytics applications.

2008-2011
Area Governor in Toastmasters - Responsible for mentoring 7 clubs, almost 100 people. ( Elected June 2011 )
Advanced communicator in Toastmasters - completed Persuasive speaking and Technical Briefings manuals.
iPhone/iPad - App Developer ( Since Oct 2011 )

Initially started my career supporting business intelligence applications. Last year, I was developing framework for business intelligence products. Currently working in evaluating mobile business analytics apps. I planning to focus on Mobile & Social Media usage for the next few months.

I do realize that I belong to the "Indian IT Pool". Based on my profile will I be classified as typical? I do play a fair amount of sports, should I specialize in them before I need to apply (represent at a certain level) ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by paulsbodine » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:36 am
shyamprasadrao,

Yes, you will be perceived as belonging to the 'male Indian IT' pool, however, you clearly have assets that will enable you to distinguish yourself from that pool: high GMAT, unusual college major, international exposure, strong extracurricular leadership, mobile/social media specialization. It would help if you were currently led teams in your professional life (not clear if that's the case). I would not do anything with your sports interests. Instead, I would devote that time/energy to ramping up your (already strong) Toastmasters involvement, or perhaps focus that time/energy somewhere else.

In general, I would say you can aim fairly high (depending on how much professional leadership you currently have), but I don't mean HBS and Stanford. :) Feel free to send me your CV for a closer look: [email protected].
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959

Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:14 am
Hello shyamprasadrao

Congrats on your gmat score!! However GMAT alone won't determine your chances of admission; beyond the academics will also help you in determining your candidature and your work experience plays a vital role as well.

You are right as most of the Indian applicants are from engineering background with a good 4-5 years of work experience. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in 5 years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you could put in a strong set of essays. So Start thinking what makes you unique and what's that 'hook' that will be key to your application.

Make sure you follow the 'show rather than tell' principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors."

Hence the quality of your work, your academics and beyond academics will play an important role in determining your candidature.

Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:20 am
shyamprasadrao wrote:2006 - B.Tech (Biotechnology) - 8.65/10
GMAT 760

Working in a IT MNC since June 06
Onsite Experience (US) - Dec 08 to date
Multinational team - Eastern europeans, Asians & South Americans

2009-
Learnt Spanish Foreign Language to manage operations team in Argentina/Brazil.

2011-
Completed Six Sigma Black Belt from ASU March, to develop turn key production for Analytics applications.

2008-2011
Area Governor in Toastmasters - Responsible for mentoring 7 clubs, almost 100 people. ( Elected June 2011 )
Advanced communicator in Toastmasters - completed Persuasive speaking and Technical Briefings manuals.
iPhone/iPad - App Developer ( Since Oct 2011 )

Initially started my career supporting business intelligence applications. Last year, I was developing framework for business intelligence products. Currently working in evaluating mobile business analytics apps. I planning to focus on Mobile & Social Media usage for the next few months.

I do realize that I belong to the "Indian IT Pool". Based on my profile will I be classified as typical? I do play a fair amount of sports, should I specialize in them before I need to apply (represent at a certain level) ?

Hi Shyam,

Don't tag yourself because there are many things which help you stand out.

While writing the essays focus of each and every aspect - your international experience ( don't let it sound onsite coding but highlight team interaction/ cross cultural learning etc), spanish language, six sigma & knowledge of related domains. We would suggest that you don't focus on the tech aspects of application development as that gives a geeky feeling. Talk about your knowledge of mobile market, social media, internet ventures ( read about groupon, Google+, Android vs iphone OS and others ) and then talk abuot goals in these domain only.

They should get a feeling on a techno-entrepreneur after reading your application.

Target schools like Haas, Teppper, MIT Sloan as they will value your profile.

At last your great GMAT score will obviously help.

Feel free to contact is for any queries.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:35 members

by MBAPrepAdvantage » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:03 pm
There are many ways you can differentiate yourself from other Indian IT applicants. Maybe your area of IT expertise mobile & social media resonate with certain aspects of your target MBA programs. Or maybe you can more clearly define your goals by really being introspective about what you wish do to.

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free assessment that can point you in the right direction on these and other aspects of your candidacy.

Best of luck,
Michael Cohan
MBAPrepAdvantage Founder & AIGAC Board Director
305-604-8178
www.mbaprepadvantage.com

Please thank and/or like individual posts.

Follow Michael Cohan on Image Image and BeattheGMAT.
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on Image Image Image.

For a free assessment email [email protected] your target schools, goals, resume, GPA and GMAT or fill out our Free MBA Admissions Consultation Form.

Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:04 pm
Your Toastmasters experience will not be typical for the Indian IT pool and your GMAT will stand out.

I think you have every right to apply to the top schools, but given the prevalance of your profile, be prepared to apply to an extended group of schools to ensure admission. This means looking at schools that are particularly accepting of your background---like Carnegie Mellon or McCombs. Applying to only the top 10 schools might be too limiting. Give yourself plenty of time on the essays versus a rush job.
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178