Profile Evaluation Request - Applying to top 20 schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if you could take a look at my stats and give me a brief evaluation.

* Male, 24 yrs

* GMAT score: 740 (Q:49, V:41)

* GPA <3.0 (63.25/100) from University of Delhi, India, Economics (honours)
- The low GPA is quite common in this course and in fact, I passed out among the top 5 in my class

* 4 years of full time work experience (by Mid-2009)
- 1 Year experience as a research analyst with one of the world's top strategic consultancies
- 3 years experience as an entrepreneur, started a firm (in partnership with a colleague) with zero capital and built it to 11 employees with a stable revenue base in two years. Extensive experience with business development (Mostly international clients) and marketing during this period, along with significant general management experience.

* Extracurriculars & Community Service: Nothing significant after school

* Am applying to Wharton, Kellogg, Tuck, among other schools.

My main concerns are the lack of significant extracurricular activities and absolutely no community service. Also, while I believe that the low GPA is quite common among people who have pursued the same course in the past, I am not sure whether this is an area I should be concerned about.

I would really appreciate your expert opinion.

Thank you.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:710

GPA

by wanderingbrains » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:30 pm
I'm in the same boat (applying to schools) so not an expert.

As far as I understand, GPA is important but not of ultimate importance. Your other credentials seem very strong and a low GPA should be balanced by your high GMAT score.

by walktall » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:29 pm
Dear wanderingbrains,

Thank you very much for your opinion... much appreciated. I would appreciate it if I could get the opinion of an admission consultant as well.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:15 pm
Dear walktall,

In these times of increasing application volumes, it will become much harder to be offered a seat at top programs like the ones you are considering. Likewise, as an international applicant it will be even tougher. While your GMAT will mitigate the GPA, I think it is important to point out you were in the top 5 if that is not on your transcript. I also think the lack of ECs might hurt you, but that varies by school as some value it more than others. The bottom line is: if an applicant with a similar profile looks even slightly better/more well-rounded than you, then you will probably lose the seat.

I would suggest spending lots of effort on your essays, resume and interview preparation to find a way to make you a compelling candidate. Also, take advantage of every opportunity to visit with school representatives when they come near you for MBA Tours and events.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Thanks.

by walktall » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:27 pm
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time out to evaluate my profile.

Cheers!