Profile Evaluation Please -

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation Please -

by brandy96 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 pm
Age - 34 yrs.

Working as Assistant Vice President in US for one of the big firm. Overall I have close to 12 years of experience. Leading a technical team of 4-5 for last 2 years. Before that I was in several lead positions and worked as Team lead, Project Manager etc.

GMAT 650 (Q49 V30) AWA 5.5

GPA: 3.8 Computer Science engineer

Extra Curricular : Actively participated in many College events and Alumni association.

Target Programs : Looking for some suggestions here, Initally I thought of full-time 2 years, but after doing some research doesn't looks like it is a best fit for me, with work-ex years and age group. I am looking for part-time/executive MBA from some top schools, Like Duke, or Kellog or Chicago Booth. Also looking for some suggestions on a 1 year full-time from Emory. With the gmat score I think Kellog full-time 1 year will be a streach.
Should I retake GMAT for any of the above program?

Post MBA- Interested in Strategic or General Management, and/or progress my carrier to Executive Management.

MY Questions are: What are my best fit Programs and what I can do to maximize, either GMAT wise or application wise.

Thank You!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:57 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your post. Given you age and level of professional experience, are you seeking EMBA programs?

Regards,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

by brandy96 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:08 pm
Yes!, I am debating myself between these three Programs:

1. EMBA from Duke, Ross
2. Part-time from Kellogg, Chicago Booth.
3. One-Year Full time Emory

More towards the #1 and #2. What are my chances and are their any other opportunities?
Can I see myself in advance carrer growth with any of the above programs. I don't want to change carrer like Going all together in Finance or something, but more towards General Management, Entrepreneurship or Strategic Management. I know all of these three are very different, but I am not able to decide and seeking your help.

by Stacey Oyler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 am
Hi,

Thanks for the clarification. I think you can certainly be competitive at the programs on your list. You have solid professional experience a very good GPA. Keep in mind that some programs have a GMAT waiver - this essentially means you can petition to have your GMAT score waived and thus if it is granted you don't need to submit your score. This could be helpful at schools that offer the waiver (Duke is one) since your GMAT score is a bit low as compared to peers with similar backgrounds in the applicant pool.

The most important thing for you to do is decide that it is that you truly want to do with your MBA. You shouldn't feel the need to vary your story from school to school, but rather you should pick what really resonates with you and use that - it will be the easiest and best story to tell in your essays and application.

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

by brandy96 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:43 pm
Thanks Stacey! This is great help to me. I do have a question though. I am pretty certain my company will not give me any position post-MBA which fits to my career goal. Do you think I stand any chance in open market with part-time MBA which can help me in my career goals.

Thanks,

by Stacey Oyler » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:20 am
You'll want to make good use of the career services department at your school. Without the advantage of an internship it can make a full time job search a bit more challenging. Most part-time programs have dedicated career services staff to support students in their job search and help them find the right opportunities.

Regards,

Stacey

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]