Profile Evaluation - please help!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation - please help!

by krishna205016 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:35 am
Hi,
I am engineering graduate with 6 years of experience in the IT industry, from India. My dream of going to a B-school started 3 years back. I decided to write GMAT and wrote my first GMAT 2 years back when I scored 590. I waited for couple of months and scored 640(47,33,6.0) this time. I approached few people and decided to apply to B-schools and applied to 3 US schools and got rejected by all them. Then I decided to improve my profile, and at the same wanted to write GMAT again.
Currently, I have 6 years of experience and worked in 2 best companies in the industry. I started participating in social service activities since last 5 years. And since 2 years I was involved in organizing fund raising events and also took up the role of event organizer. And also became a lead in my job role. With this profile I wrote my GMAT this month and again got a low score of 600. I really felt bad about my GMAT scores and I really donot feel like writing GMAT for one more time. BTW, I was good in acads and have an average GPA.
So, I am looking to apply to B-schools with my highest GMAT score of 640. I am primarily interested in the 1 year programmes and looks like it will be really difficult (almost impossible) to get into Indian Schools like ISB, IIMA, IIMC. Suggestions are welcome if I can still make though.
As of now, I am looking at schools such as Nanyang, HEC Paris, Rotterdam business school, Melbourne Business school, NUS. I want to know what are the chances of me getting into these business schools or infact any B-school.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:53 am
Hello,

Luckily your work experience and extracurriculars are strong. However, one important factor that is missing from your information is your undergraduate record. If you attended a top program and had a very strong academic record, it will definitely help to mitigate the low GMAT for the programs in question. You can state in an optional essay that this academic record proves your true academic capability.

With a solid-to-strong academic record and a stellar application, I believe that Rotterdam would be on par and some schools would be reasonable reaches – HEC, Nanyang, NUS.

Best regards,
Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com