Profile evaluation for top US and European schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
Please evaluate my chances for top schools in US and Europe.

[u]GMAT [/u]: 690 (580 in First attempt)

[u]Education[/u]: 3 Yrs Bachelors in Business Management, CGPA:3.8
2 yrs Masters from India's Premium Communication school (Known for Media & Advertising), CGPA: 3.3

[u]Work Ex:[/u] Total 4.5 yrs at the time of application

Worked 3.5 yrs with Star Tv, A Newscorp company in distribution space in sales and strategy profiles. It requires selling tv channels to distribution platforms. Promoted twice.

Working in a New TV venture by Reliance Big Entertainment as a manager in Distribution. Working on a Tripple play project..on the lines of Comcast/Virgin Media.

Geographical scope of work : India (Coordination with Hong Kong in Star tv)

Age - 28 yrs

Nationality : Indian

Married to a Romanian Citizen

Extra co-curricular activites: Average though diverse (dramatics, sports, extempore speech, travelling)

Wish to enhance my career in Media & Entertainment sector through mix of Industry and consultancy experiences.

regards,
Prashu

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:23 am
It seems you have several components of a competitive b-school application. Your GMAT is good, and while it is getting ever more competitive out there, a 690 should be good enough assuming the rest of your package shines. I would say your biggest advantage is your unique work history, which when coupled with a compelling vision for your future goals in entertainment, should be memorable and help you stand out to the admissions committees. I would target schools which have a history of post-MBA entertainment field work. You didn't say anything about your recommenders, which in this line of work would probalby be crucial to your making a strong case for admission. But as far as core credentials, it appears you have the proverbial ducks in a row to take a serious look at a top tier school. You should plan on spending quality time assembling your essays, making sure you weave a well-thought-out and very anecdotal story. Remember that the onus is on you to demonstrate why you should be taking a seat from someone else, why now is the best time for you to return to school, and what exactly you will contribute to your classmates while you are there. If you successfully build solid answers to these questions into your essays, you should have a good shot. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get someone to help you with your essays, whether that be a friend who has gone through the process, or a consultant. Good luck.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options