Profile Evaluation for GMAT 750

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation for GMAT 750

by amit_2010 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:51 am
HI i am Amit from India i have very confused now a days. Please let me know am i considerable for those college
and please let me know what should i do to make my profile stronger.

My Profile is
Name: Amit Dangi
B.Tech in Computer Science
3.4 year of experience in IT industry at the time of joining B-School.
GPA = 2.7 (Very Bad)
GMAT = 750

Very Good Extra Curricular activity including NGO and some documentary.
Average Recommendation.

My choice list of colleges are:

University of Pennsylvania: Wharton
MIT Sloan School of Management
University of Chicago: Booth
New York University: Stern
University of Oxford: Saïd
University of Michigan: Ross
University of California at Berkeley: Haas
Duke University: Fuqua

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:01 am
Hello Amit,

Although your GMAT score is strong, your undergraduate GPA could be a problem. Did you go to an undergraduate institution in the US? If not, you might check to see whether your GPA is properly translated. Check with your undergraduate school. Most top international schools are familiar with translation methods.

You also say your recommendations will only be average. That is very concerning. Schools will wonder why the disconnect between your GPA and GMAT and weak recommendations will make your candidacy even more suspect.

Finally, coming from India with a technical degree you will be in competition with thousands of people who have strong GPAs and glowing references. Unless your work experience is exceptional, you will not stand out against the others in your pool.

The schools you have selected are among the very best in the world - and the most difficult to get into. Generally with even one weakness in your application your chances drop considerably. Your strong GMAT may make you attractive to second and third tier schools, but you would need to improve other elements of your profile to have a solid chance at the schools on your list. That is not to say you definitely would not get into one or more, but if you are determined to go to business school, you will need to shore up one or more of your weaknesses. Think about steps you can take on your job to improve your recommendations. Double check the translation of your GPA. Look at your extracurricular activities to see where you might build a strong profile. Realistically, these steps will take time. You are still young. You may want to consider taking another year to get your profile in shape before applying.
Tani Wolff