Profile evaluation for an MSA/MAC?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

Profile evaluation for an MSA/MAC?

by AleksandrM » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:58 pm
Could one of the Stacy Blackman consultants evaluate my profile for an MSA/MAC program? Provided that SB's specialization is not in accounting programs, perhaps someone could provide me with some feedback keeping in mind that I am interested in a graduate business degree.

Please let me know.

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:45 am
Dear AleksandrM,

I would be happy to give you some comments, as would some of the other admissions consultants, if you want to post more details on your profile. However, it is worth noting that this is a forum about MBA programs and the evaluation for other graduate business degrees will deviate with large variances by school. If you would like some feedback, then I would encourage you to post more information to the general "Ask an MBA Admissions Consultant" forum.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by AleksandrM » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:16 pm
Here is my profile.

Born in Uzbekistan, where I spent my childhood. Came to the US at the age of 12.

Other than English, am fluent in Russian.

Attended Penn State and then transferred to Temple University. Graduated with a BA in sociology. GPA = 3.79.

Was awarded a scholarship twice. Was named President's Scholar upon graduation.

Took the GMAT twice. 1st = 39 quant + 38 verbal + 6 AWA = 640.
2nd = 35 quant + 41 verbal + 5.5 AWA = 640.

Low quant, I know. However, took algebra, precalc, and stat in college and received an A in all. Took physics and finished with a B.

Not much in the way of extracurriculars. Wrote for a student newspaper while at Penn State. Nothing at Temple. Had to work to pay for school and help my mother with domestic expenses. Most recently, volunteered as a tutor at a charter school; worked with inner city children to improve their reading skills.

Interned at a human resources solutions firm for five months. Participated in a major project, which is a centerpiece of a team essay I wrote for one of the schools.

Have worked for a logistics company for a year. Serve as an import account representative there. My client is the biggest pharma generics firm in the world. Work with many parties throughout the globe on a daily basis.

Have secured a recommendation from the president of the human resources firm. Have also secured a recommendation from two former professors who know my academic work and know me personally, and are absolutely ecstatic to write me a recommendation.

Target schools are: Kenan-Flagler (UNC); McCallum (Bentley College); Carroll (Boston College). Will apply for the 1st round at each school.

Post grad school focus: 3 to 5 years in assurance services @ Big Four. Then, transfer to transaction advisory services (M&As, divestitures, and valuation).

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:29 am
Dear AleksandrM,

I think you are in a good position for MAcc programs at those schools. I would encourage you to focus your energy on the applications and presenting yourself effectively. You have good work experience, a high GPA and a solid GMAT. The GMAT might be a little low for UNC, but since it is for the MAcc and not MBA it is hard to know if that will really affect your candidacy.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me