Profile Evaluation: College senior applying for an MBA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi!

Would it be possible if you could review my profile? I am a college senior studying Philosophy (that sounds a bit unusual, I admit.) at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Born and raised in Hong Kong (Hong Kong Chinese). I am interested in applying to the following schools.
----
Target schools:
HBS 2+2
Stanford GSB (deferred admission)
Wharton
Chicago Booth
MIT Sloan
----
My profile is very complicated. I got 6As in my O-level (top 2 % in Hong Kong) when I was in high school and was admitted one year earlier than other folks to University X's Chemistry program (I was allowed to skipped the A-level as well). However, I found that the Chemistry program didn't suit me so I switched both the school (to the Chinese University of HK) and the program (to Philosophy).
----
Goals
-Short-term goals: work in social enterprise/Non-profit organizations (especially interested in Human Rights issues, Worker's Right)
-Long-term goal: set up a social enterprise in Hong Kong

Education
BA in Philosophy, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
GPA: 3.708 (top 2% in the department, top 5 % in the university), probably will get First Class Honor

Scholarships and awards
Dean's List every year, got 5 scholarships in 4 years.

GMAT results
First attempt: 710 (92%), Quant (49, 85%), Verbal (39, 87%)
I still have two chances to boost my mark in the next two months.

Quantitative skills
I guess B schools would be quite worried about my quantitative skills since I am a philosophy major. I actually got pretty good grades in 3 courses of multivariable calculus (A-,A and A+).

Extracurricular activities
-I was the Chairperson of the student group of an exchange program with an Ivy League School. I led a group of 8 students and organized a symposium at that Ivy School. The theme of that symposium was about Capitalism, Society and Social Justice (we investigated the issues about workers' rights in China, Housing problems in HK etc.). We were also responsible for designing an exchange program for the participants from that school.

-I led a group of four in joining a Social Enterprise Business Plan competition jointly hosted by an investment bank and an NPO at that Ivy school. We got the champion. The social enterprise aimed to improve the living conditions of the underprivileged in HK. It took four months.

-I was nominated by the university to join the World Youth Leaders Forum 2012, where I will explore the issues about workers' rights in China. I did a lengthy paper on that issue and will debate with other participants about it in that forum.

-Head of Delegation in a Model United Nation Forum. Debated about Human Trafficking.

-Choir Member of the university choir

-got a Diploma in Piano Performance from the Royal School of Music in England

(Don't know whether my high school experience is relevant. I led a choir with 120 members at my high school.)

Work Experience
-I designed a science program for the underprivileged high-school+primary school students with 2 group mates. Part-time (whole year). About 50 participants. I was also the instructor of that program.
-dunno whether I can get an internship this summer. Still waiting for the result.

Volunteer
-Quite a lot of experience. I am now a mentor of the drug abuse patients. The task is very challenging (but i love it) because those "mentees" are on average 10 years older than me. I help them in their rehabilitation program.

-Teaching experience at certain Animal Welfare association and an Elderly Academy.

-Organized fund-raising campaign for poor children in Sichuan, China

-Instructor in a teenage science program (volunteer_

Hobbies
Backpacking, playing the piano, weight-training, choral singing

Reasons for getting an MBA
I don't know whether the following reasons are sound. But I would tried to convey this as clear as possible.

Why MBA?
-I already have a clear goal of managing a social enterprise.
-Social enterprise is not common in HK. Some I-bankers and people from social enterprises told me that managers of SE often lack experience in financial analysis/modeling which are often emphasized in for-profit enterprises (since I had explored that field, I recognized the same problem as well). That is a common obstacle to the expansion of the enterprise. I certainly have 0 experience in financial analysis. I have clear goal and passion, but do not possess relevant business knowledge. I really want to get formal business training.

Why now? (still struggling in answering this question!!!!!!AHHHH!!)
-Generally, I think I am ready (of coz i can't just "think" I am ready, i have to prove it. I am still brainstorming about it.). I have gained experience from volunteering, extracurricular activities and work experience. All these experience are essential to my SE career.

It would be great if you could evaluate my profile, pointing some flaws/weaknesses in my profile. Just give me some straightforward comments. Thank you so much!!!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:06 am
You have some very nice stuff in your profile especially for one so young. HBS 2+2, Stanford Deferred and also Yale Silver scholars are programs that would be right for you given your lack of work experience, but they are SUPER competitive. Every single person who applies is among the best of the school. Thankfully you are too! So you do have a chance! :) But it's hard.

Otherwise it's unlikely that a full-time "regular" MBA will take you on without at least 2-3 years of experience. These programs are simply designed for folks who have worked a few years.

If you are looking into other options right now, you can also look into MiM programs, of which LBS has the most prestigious one.

And good luck!
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:25 am
Hi Cyrus,

I would not waste time applying to traditional 2 year MBA programs at this point, but your profile might resonate well with the Yale Silver Scholars Program, given your interest in social entrepreneurship. You can also look at HBS 2+2 but as Jon said, these programs have become ridiculously competitive, and you should certainly not "expect" to get in.

I was a philosophy major as well, and in the US it is not that different than majoring in history or English. You are learning how to write, analyze and argue--and maybe convince your friends that they don't exist:)

But I went on to work in business and get a Harvard MBA, and nobody saw my major as a negative. So go forward and get some great work experience, and if you want to take a shot at the programs I discussed above, contact me at [email protected]

Good Luck!
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by cyrusyychan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:12 pm
Thank you so much, Jon and Alex (So thrilled to meet a Philo major!)!! I will reconsider whether I should apply to those traditional MBAs. Your advice is really helpful! I will definitely contact you if I have further questions.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by PrepMBA.AlexLeventhal » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:35 am
Sure Cyrus. Good luck!
Alex Leventhal
Harvard MBA, 1998
Prep MBA Admissions Consulting
www.prepmba.com
[email protected]
(323)424.3178

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by goldenegg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:07 am
Also check out the Manchester Business School Young Potential Leaders programme specifically designed for younger individuals with little experience. The school provides opportunities for up to ten very talented high-flyers to take the Full-time MBA Programme.