Profile evaluation- Canadian - govt agency non profit

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Profile: 28/m
I am a Canadian and completed elec. engineering from Univ of Toronto - GPA 2.8/4.0 . GMAT 710 (q47 76% v41 92%)

Work 5 years: Regulated utility / government agency - developed energy efficiency programs for the industrial sector. I currently work at a regulated electricity distributor helping largest 30 consumers ($30M) to cut their energy costs.

Post MBA: work in energy related industries or management consulting related to energy.
Weak: Low GPA and weak community experience

I'd like an idea of the top schools (US and England) where I may have a good chance of getting in.

thanks..

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:20 am
Hello ertw83, thanks for your question.

Your GMAT should be fine. Your quant score is slightly lower than the typical 80% I recommend for top schools, but your engineering degree should mitigate that. Your GPA is on the low side. Was there an extraordinary circumstance that caused your low marks? Did your GPA rise as you progressed through undergrad? If so, you might try to explain these factors in the optional essay. Better yet, do you have any other analogue that is a better representation of your academic ability and potential?

I think you have a pretty good handle on your weaknesses: GPA and community experience. One note on the latter: Extracurricular activities need not be limited to official community service. You might also speak to your passions and interests as vehicles through which you have done good for the world.

In targeting suitable schools, a good place to start would be to compile a list of programs that have a mean or median GMAT score close to yours. You should be competitive here. My rule of thumb is that if your GMAT score falls within the middle 80% range at a school, you have a shot. Otherwise, it could be an uphill battle.

I tend to avoid telling candidates where to apply simply because it's an intensely personal choice that you should make. You will know best which program has:
"¢ Resources that best meets your career needs
"¢ A culture that resonates with your personal style
"¢ Students whom you respect, can relate to, and have fun with!

I encourage all applicants to pound the pavement and talk to students and alumni from your target programs to find the best fit. It's not easy, I know, but the effort will be worth it in the end, I assure you!

I hope this helps!

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php