Profile evaluation and Schools to target

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,
I really appreciate your guidance to prospective applicants. I too want to apply to US Bschools and would like to go into management consulting in short term and in long term would like to be an entrepreneur.Also I am interested to do enter into media/entertainment industry post MBA.
Below is my profile:
I am an Indian male 25yrs with WE 2+ yrs working with an MNC in IT industry.GMAT: 660 / 83 %ile (Q: 48, V: 33, AWA: 4) August 2008 • Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering with 74.3%(Honors) from a top engg institute in India.July 02 - June 06

.Working with an IT MNC since last two yrs, so did not get opportunities for a leadership roles.Thogh I have been involved with Corporate social responsibility club at my company and help NGO's.

Accomplishments:WasPresident Society Of Mechanical Engineering at the University. Student Secretary for Organization of International Workshop at the University. Undergrad Placement Secretary. General Secretary for National Level Technical Fest and cultural fests at the university.Presented Papers in National Level Technical Symposiums.

• Among the top 0.1% candidates at the State Level Engineering Entrance Exam June 2001; Among the top 2% candidates in All India Engineering Entrance Exam June 2001;

.Consistently among the top 5 %of my class at the university.[/color]

My GMAT is low and hence I will be retaking it and so I have decided to apply next year, but I want to apply to only top10 US schools. I understand that there is no shortcut to enter any school but would like to now what extra can be done in one year to improve the profile apart from GMAT score.
It would also be of great help if you could suggest me which schools i can target for FALL 2009 entry
Thanks a lot!!
PassionOnSleeves

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:07 am
Dear PassiononSleeves,

The top 10 US MBA programs are highly, highly competitive for international applicants, so it is not only important for you to increase your GMAT at least 70 points, but for you to put together a compelling application which distinguishes you from the competition. You need to demonstrate progression in your career and leadership potential. Ideally, you will have both professional and personal experiences to draw from for your essays in this regard.

I would suggest applying to at least one or two safety schools as a back up plan. I also encourage you to visit our sticky on school selection for tips on identifying programs.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me