Profile Evaluation & Advice

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Profile Evaluation & Advice

by chris558 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 am
Thank you in advance for looking at my profile!

I am currently 23, (24 by the time I apply, and 25 if and when I start in Fall 2013). I am Asian-American and the first to have graduated from College. I went to Rutgers University, Rutgers College, and graduated with a 2.89 in May 2011. I started working as a hedge fund analyst for BNYMellon in January 2011 (full time employee and full time student during my last semester).

I've done well at work, but no promotions as I've only worked for 1 1/2 years so far. My company doesn't have a merit system, but I have been made employee of the month. I know I'll be able to get solid recommendations from my direct manager, the VP, as well as another manager I work with.

Outside of work and after graduation, I was a Chapter Advisor for a sorority, and played softball for my company league (is this even worth mentioning lol?).

I took the GMAT in June and scored a 660 (Q41, V40) which is the exact opposite of how I thought I would do (I usually score around 49 for quant and very low on verbal..). So I will be taking it again during the Fall. I'm aiming for a 700+ (wish me luck!).

I plan to apply for the part-time programs in both Rutgers and Stern. I realize that part-time programs are usually meant for older people that want to advance in their current career paths, but my reason is a bit different- it's financial. I would prefer to have income as to pay for my many bills and other responsibilities. Rutgers would be my safety, and Stern is the school I aim to go to. My reach school is Columbia. I realize that they only offer a full-time program, but if I were to go to this school I know I would work hard and find a part-time job and make it work out. I've been working since I was 14 and put myself through college, so i'm confident that I would be able to do this again. I want to specialize in Media and Finance.

I realize my GPA is incredibly low, and was wondering, aside from heightening my GMAT score, what I could do to make my application stand out more. Should I take courses to build a supplemental transcript? If so, I don't have much time... Would this be feasible? I would only be able to take online courses- which schools would ADCOM prefer me to take online courses at (that aren't tooooo expensive.. Harvard is over 1K per course). How many classes and which? Also, should I seek more volunteer work? I feel like I don't have a lot of time since I'm in midst of studying for the GMATs (plan on taking around Oct).

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:07 pm
Hello chris558, thanks for your question.

I think you have a good handle on what you need to work on!

Your low quant GMAT score, low GPA, and extracurriculars could all be obstacles. I think Columbia would be a reach for you.

Your advantage: you're young and can mitigate some of these factors.

For GPA, was there an extraordinary circumstance that caused your low marks? Did your GPA rise as you progressed through undergrad? If so, you might try to explain these factors in the optional essay. Better yet, do you have any other analogue that is a better representation of your academic ability and potential? Programs will want to know that you can handle the material. If you don't have an extraordinary explanation, then as you mentioned, you'll need to take some courses. I don't know that there is a set number of courses, per se, but you want to prove to schools that you can handle both the quantitative and qualitative workload. Your GMAT indicates you can handle the latter, but is lower on the quant side - so maybe some math or finance classes?

You're already working to improve your GMAT, so I won't comment on that.

In terms of extracurricular activities, what you've done more recently has more weight than what you did in university/school. But, let me also say that extracurricular activities need not be limited to official community service. You might also speak to your passions and interests as vehicles through which you have done good for the world. And, if you feel like you don't have enough, then get the ball rolling on starting some activities!

As I said, you're young enough to mitigate these factors - you can spend a year strengthening your case and then apply next year if need be. And, it seems like you have a compelling life story that could move the needle or explain some of the perceived weaknesses in your candidacy.

I hope this helps!

Best of luck!
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php