Profile Evaluation / Advice Needed

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation / Advice Needed

by yankexpat » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 pm
Hello and thanks in advance for your insights! I'm hoping to shoot for the top 5 US business schools when I apply. Understanding that much depends on factors like interviews and letters of recommendation, is this realistic given my profile?

Background Information:
- Worked for 2 years as an investment banking analyst at a top 10 bank in NYC with involvement on high profile transactions
- Moving to the Middle East soon to work for a state-owned investment firm (buyout arm of a sovereign wealth fund)
- 3.85 overall GPA at a top 25 university (double majored in finance and history)
- 700 GMAT (46 Q - 80%, 40 V - 90%)
- Strong extracurriculars in college (was heavily involved in student government activities and received numerous awards)
- Interesting internship experiences (worked for the US Senate Banking Committee and carried out research for the Federal Reserve Board in Washington DC)

Also, I'm wondering whether it's worth it for me to retake the GMAT during time off in between jobs. I have taken the test twice after college, scoring 700 on the first attempt and 670 on the second one (due to a bad testing day).

Would it be advisable for me to try to score higher or is it enough to be competitive 1-2 years down the line if I apply then?

Any helpful thoughts / suggestions would be really appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 am
Dear yankexpat,

Based on your post, I think you will be competitive with your work experience, GPA, and 700 GMAT for the top US programs. Of course, a higher GMAT score will make you more attractive on first glance. So it really comes down to whether or not you feel you could increase your score. Keep in mind--your score is only good for 5 years. Depending on when you scored the 700, you might be getting near the end of that timeframe. If you think you can get your score up, then it might be worth it.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me