Profile Eval Request for a Canadian entering European prog

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi there,

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my application: I am looking to apply to either a MBA (concentration in Organizational Behaviour) or an MSc in Organizational Behaviour. My long term career goal is to teach, as a lecturer, in a university. To get there, I'd like to start off by working in a consulting environment, post MBA/MSc, to learn as well as showcase my skill sets before entering the teaching world. (I am open to doing a Ph.D but have not decided on that at this point - MBA/MSc first ;)

I'm applying for European MBA/MSc programs because they seem to offer more 1 year options than Canada, plus Europe has some great schools.

Do you think my application is viable for these schools?

Schools applying to: Cambridge (MBA) - Jan 10th deadline; LSE (MSc Org Behaviour), Oxford (MBA), Queens (Canadian Uni) (MSc Org Beh)

Undergrad: Completed iBBA from Schulich School of Business, 2007: (Ranked as #1 Business school in Canada)
GPA: Full 4 year program: 3.0/4, last 2 years, I scored 3.3/4 (Hope admissions committee will take academic rigour of Schulich into account)
GMAT: 630 (Q 41, V 35), AWA: Still waiting for it (but my previous attempt AWA score was 6.0)
Languages: Tri-lingual (Fluent in English and my mother tongue, also have intermediate level in French)
Experiences while in Uni: Completed an exchange term in France, did an internship in India and selected to attend a conference in Singapore
Work Experience: 4.3 years as of Aug 31, 2010
What type of work? Canada's #2 ranked Telecommunications company, working in a Leadership Development Program (Management training for select people of the company). I have rotated in 4 business units, 2 different brands and done 5 roles, all with progressive levels of responsibility - including Q3 launch of a marketing campaign across Canada; designing a rewards and recognition program from scratch, impacting 400 employees; Team Manager for 11 employees at the call center level - showed results in building a top performing team.
Extracurriculars: Volunteer of Women's Network Program in my company, also have facilitated a few Leadership building sessions for an NGO that I work with, and provide marketing advice to a small business

I've tried to be as detailed as possible.... what are my chances for Cambridge MBA for R2 deadline? That's my top pick!

Also - If I want someone from your group to edit my essay, what are my next steps? (Please PM me)

Thanks!

GMAT Gal

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:40 am
Dear GMAT Gal,

You have the foundation for a competitive application to these schools. While your GMAT is a bit low, you have some solid professional work experience and other application components to mitigate it. Your essays, recommendations, resume and interview will all play a significant role in your ultimate decisions, so be sure to use those aspects to make your case for a seat in the class and effectively convey your rationale for an MBA.

For detail on our services, please visit our website at www.stacyblackman.com. Thanks for your interest in our services!

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me