profile eval for NYU part-time

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

profile eval for NYU part-time

by bobular » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 am
Hi,
I know someone already asked about NYU, but I was hoping if you could help me evaluate my profile to see if I can get into NYU part-time.

-gmat 670 q48 v 34

-My Undergrad GPA is low, my 1st 2 years were in the 1.8 1.9 range from a top 50 school at the time (case western reserve). my last 2 years I went to a different school, straightened up a little, and got a 3.16 in the last 2 years with a BA in physics, and a BS in math from Cleveland State (tier 3 school)

*edit* my junior year gpa was 3.4ish, my senior year was 3.5 or 3.7 i forgot the exact numbers, but my numbers were good enough to put me on dean's list for 4 semesters in a row.

-My grad school GPA is 3.75 with a masters in Library and information science from SUNY Albany

-I have worked 1 year 1st part time then full time during my masters program as a business librarian and part of my research helped to initiate the talk bring air-bus facilities to NY state. (although I finished that internship well before any talk took place)

-I am working at one of the largest public library system in the in the country. I am assigned to committee work to bring change to our website system. (less than one year of work experience)
*edit I have integrated a very few community services into my job, i.e. helping teens with a money managing program, and school visits although they are part of the job also.

-due to my work, I was interviewed for a supervisor with only less than 1 year of work experience.
*edit,I just got promoted to branch supervisor. I will be starting in Feburary.

I feel that I have a poor chance of getting into NYU part-time, is there area that I can improve upon?
Thank you in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:12 pm
Dear bobular,

I concur with the post you received in the main forum. I think your decision will hinge on how NYU will evaluate your minimal work experience. It will definitely help that you received a promotion. You appear to have a competitive profile otherwise, so I think you should go ahead and apply if you feel you are ready for business school now.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bobular » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:02 am
Thanks! I will try to focus on the positive aspects of my work experience, and I will probably give my best shot. The worst thing they can say is no, and that doesnt even hurt my future chances.