Profile Eval for HBS and Wharton

Launched January 9, 2010
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Profile Eval for HBS and Wharton

by sashish007 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:12 am
Dear Sir/Madam -

I will be applying to HBS, Wharton, Columbia, and MIT this year and would greatly appreciate an expert opinion on my applicant profile (in reverse chronological order):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDUCATION -
Graduate School: Columbia University
Degree: MS, Electrical Engineering
CGPA: 3.60/4.00 [Magna Cum Laude]
Research Project(s) with IBM TJ Watson Research Center (Fishkill, NY), Carnegie Mellon University, and National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
GMAT: Prepping right now...

College: University of Mumbai
Degree: BE, Electronics Engineering
CGPA: 4.00/4.00 [Valedictorian/Summa Cum Laude]
Research Project with D-Link (India) Ltd.

ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS -
- Awarded RANK III in Mumbai, 2004 by University of Mumbai
- Achieved 91% (among 38,137 students) nationwide at Indian Institute of Technology's (IIT) GATE 2004 entrance exam

WORK EXPERIENCE:
Industry: Wireless (4 yrs)
Company: Spirent Communications, Plc (New Jersey) - Headquartered in the UK
Title: Product Development Engineer
- Responsible for development of multi-million dollar (ISO 9001 certified) wireless products for deployment of 3G/4G cellular networks of Verizon, ATT, Motorola, Nokia, and Apple.
- Awarded Spirent Spot Award in 2007 recognizing collaborative efforts as the youngest team member for developing 3 years ahead of time, a high-speed 3G system capacity, generating $2,500,000 in revenue in < 3 months
- Contributed to a 300% increase in stock price over 4 years through the development of an innovative and niche product line.

Technical Consultant, Columbia University Information Technology (CUIT) (1 year)
Webmaster, The Charles H Revson Fellowship at Columbia University (1 year)

LEADERSHIP EXTRA-CURRICULARS:
1. Co-Founder/Co-Chairman, Social Media committee at Columbia Business School Alumni Club of New York (CBSAC/NY) <https://www.cbsacny.org/article.html?aid=140>
2. Co-Founder, Indian Students' Association at Columbia (ISAC) - Columbia University
3. Spirent Softball League - 5 victories against Avaya Telecom, ATT, and Withum-Smith Brown, etc.
4. Student Member, IEEE - University of Mumbai

I will have 3 recommendation letters:
- From my Work manager
- From Columbia B-school non-profit work
- From Columbia University's EE Department Chair re research projects

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am shooting for a GMAT score of 750. Is that reasonable? What aspects am I missing for the Fall 2011 MBA programs? Also, would it be competitive enough to try for Stanford GSB (the acceptance rate for Stanford is ~7%) ?

Greatly appreciate your feedback.

Much Regards,
Ashish
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:58 am
First of all, I think your profile looks very competitive. If you do score in the 750 range then there is nothing in the information you provided that would keep you out of a top school (Stanford included). It is now just an issue of putting together an application/essays/recs that will get you in.

Did you receive your master's degree four years ago? (is all of your work experience post-MA?). I ask this because, as counterintuitive as it may seem, candidates that already have advanced degrees may have a more difficult time crafting a compelling story as to why he/she needs another advanced degree. You will need to conven to the Adcom why you are now interested in business (and how this interest came about - especially since only recently you were pursing an advanced degree in engineering!). To mitigate this, remember to keep focused on business examples in your essays and, to the extent possible, I would suggest using your first two recommenders (I realize some schools want 3 recommendations in which case the Engineering Department Chair would be fine - particularly if he is familiar with your non-engineering skills or can stick to more general skills such as analytical ability, work ethic, personality, leadership, initiative, etc.).

Good luck to you!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by sashish007 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:48 pm
Jessica - Thanks a lot for the motivational feedback!

Yes, I graduated from Columbia in May 2006 and all the work experience is post my MS. And I know exactly where you are coming from - I can promise I have done all the ground work! I want to switch careers from R&D in Technology to Management Consulting. Many people I know who pursue PhDs, MDs, JDs, etc. also pursue Consulting as their careers in a client-facing role. I want to move from Product Development (R&D) to Product Management/Marketing where I will get to meet customers/clients and thus, transition from a quantitative/analytical problem-solver to a strategic business problem-solver - do I make sense? For instance, instead of stressing on the core technical details of the several wireless projects I worked on, I would emphasize the revenue and business development aspect of those projects and how they translate to strategic growth of the wireless business segment.

The Department chair is a professor from UC-Berkeley, and I believe he would be more well-versed with my engineering expertise, which I can ask him to elaborate my project leadership capabilities.

Now, time to crack the GMAT open.
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.