Profile Eval - Apply 2nd rounds 2010 or 1st rounds for 2011?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
College: UCLA (2003-2007)
Major: B.S. in Applied Mathematics
GPA: 3.6
[Semester abroad at Tsinghua University studying advanced Chinese - Sep. 2007 - Jan. 2008]

GMAT: 730 (Q50/V38) AWA: 6/6

Work Experience:
Feb. 2008 - Present
Top 10 Management consulting firm
- Continuously recognized as top performer with strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Given increased responsibilities as project manager with pending promotion in February 2010

Summer internships in college:
KPMG 2006 - Audit & Structured Finance Intern
Countrywide Financial 2005 - Finance Intern

Leadership Experience:
- VP Finance for Coed Business Fraternity (college)
- Recruiting team lead for UCLA at consulting firm
- Recently just became involved in pro bono consulting non-profit organization

Career Goals:
Through networking, I was introduced to the CPG brand management career path and after learning about the job scope, responsibilities, and projects through professionals in this space, I am extremely interested and passionate about pursing marketing as a long-term profession. I have realized that it is extremely difficult to transition into marketing (even as entry-level) and strongly need the MBA to enable the switch. I also eventually hope to leverage my bilingual skills (fluent in English and Mandarin) to go into international marketing.

What I hope to get out of MBA:
- Academic and professional breadth to help me transition my career from consulting to brand management
- Leverage my strong quantitative background to combine with qualitative aspects of marketing to be a well-rounded brand management professional
- Use my bilingual skill sets to build an international network for a career with greater mobility
- Improve leadership and management skills

Target Schools:
1) Kellogg
2) HBS
3) Stanford
4) UPenn
5) Columbia

Questions:
1) One of my friends who graduated from Anderson recently encouraged me to apply 2nd rounds for Fall 2010. The premise is that I want to go to business school ASAP so I can make the career switch and not have to waste away another year of my life in limbo just waiting to start doing what I want to do. However, given that I am a fairly young candidate (2.5 years work experience) with weaknesses in my leadership/managerial experience, I'm considerably worried that I won't get into any of my target schools. Would you agree given my profile? Do I even have a chance?

2) If I hold off applying until 1st rounds 2010 for Fall 2011, would my chances be significantly better? I will have had over 3.5 years of work experience under my belt by the time I enroll and will definitely have developed more leadership experiences (i.e. Pro bono consulting).

3) I am also contemplating a job switch if I don't end up applying 2nd rounds for fall 2010. Is it better to stay at the job I am at now to wait for the promotion (for the resume) and then search for jobs, or is it better to switch as soon as possible to make sure my future managers will have had time to know me to write a decent recommendation in time for 1st/2nd rounds for fall 2011?

I definitely am at crossroads right now and really think that my next career step, whether it be bschool apps or a job switch is the most important step before going to MBA school. I also need to make a decision soon since 2nd rounds are due mid Jan. Any insights, advice, or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:45 am
Looks to me like you would have a competitive package if you applied now. Don't forget that leadership does not always involve managing people. The fact that you are up for a promotion at work could indicate that you have been a leader among your peers and project management demonstrates leadership as well. The adcom wants to see leadership potential more than anything and will not expect you to be a company executive coming in--just to have demonstrated the potential to be that executive in the future. Your recommenders can do you a great service in this area by speaking to your leadership ability vs. your peers at work, etc. And your leadership in college etc. is valid and will be considered. Harvard likes young-uns! Go for IT!
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by snowdove510 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:46 am
Thanks for the feedback!!!