Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval: 770, 3.25 gpa, 24 y/o

by nicknick » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:44 pm
I would love some help evaluating my chances at the following schools:

yale, nyu, uva, emory

gmat: 770 (Q50/V44)

ugrad: top 5 engineering school, 3.25, chemical engineering

we: 1 year, ethanol producer,
manage small area of the plant, manage teams of up to 10 contractors and company employees doing day long jobs, prepared proposal and cost estimation for $400,000 construction project, successfully troubleshooted failing equipment. Work on design of operational software and I have done a number of other things.

I think my recs will be average, I have a very independent day to day job, so I feel it is unlikely I should expect to receive exceptional recs, but I have gained great experience at this job and I feel I will be able to show this in my essays. I think my experiences lineup nicely with my post mba entrepreneurial goals.

ecs: played amateur soccer during college, took martial arts and taught children's martial arts for a year

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:29 pm
Dear nicknick,

I think you have a competitive profile for your schools, but I'm concerned by your comment on your recommendations. You need to have good, strong recommendations. If you don't, it will give the schools a reason to reject you--and you don't want to do that.

Ideally, you want your direct manager to give you a recommendation. If you don't believe this person will speak positively of you, then find another manager who will. You can ask a co-worker, vendor, or customer to be your second recommender, but whoever it is needs to give you a glowing recommendation. I would suggest you think a little more on who you could ask and then talk to these people to determine which two are the best choices.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nicknick » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:16 pm
Thanks so much for your response. Hopefully I am just being paranoid about my recs, sometimes I do that sort or thing. Maybe they know me better than I think.

Just a small question. What exactly does competitive mean?