Profile Assessment Request

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Assessment Request

by mayheat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:48 am
Hi,

I wanted to get your perspective on my candidacy for Fall 2010 admissions to a full time MBA program. My details are:

i) Background: 29 year old Indian male (US citizen)

ii) Undergrad: Top 5 Public School in the US with major in Econ and minors in math and phil, GPA 2.95

Low GPA statement: self supported my way through school working a few part time jobs

iii) Career: (a) 2 years in market research, last 4 years in supply chain consulting firm which is market leader in its niche. Promoted once from analyst to associate and currently a project manager (org restructuring lead to addition of another layer below Associate and consequently increased work responsibilities across the board for all associates who are now project managers); pay raise every six months. Have moved from analytical spreadsheet work when I started to now leading international projects with tons of leadership without authority experiences in managing large international stakeholder teams. Expected to be promoted to in Jan/Feb 2010.

(b) Most of my work experience has been in the US, however for the last 6 months I have been on assignment in London working in our firm's EU operations - expanding EU practice, building standardization across NA and EU practices, leading international projects

iv) GMAT: Last score in Oct 2008 was 710 (49Q and 38 V). Have taken the GMAT three other times in 2007 and 2008 with scores being (650,640 and 630 in chronological order).

v) Extra curriculars:

College- editor of a publication for a student organization, camp counselor for a summer for middle school and high school kids, boxing club, philosophy club

Post College: volunteer for non-profit for a 2 years now - recently fundraising work and developing a program to generate more volunteers in different cities for this organization

vi) Post MBA career - continuation in a different niche in supply chain and using MBA to gain specialized knowledge and develop networks

My questions are:

1. Could you please provide your perspective on my target school list in terms of stretch, sweet spot and safety:

Stern, Columbia, LBS, Oxford, Cambridge, Chicago and Kello

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:36 am
Thank you for your inquiry.

As I'm sure you know, the biggest hurdle you will face is being an Indian male somewhat over the mean age of most schools' applicants, with a low GPA. Those are of course unchangeable facts, but still ones that you will want to address. In terms of the demographics, here's a post that might help you think through some positioning: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2009/05/ ... sentation/

For the GPA, I recommend that you write an optional essay explaining the reasons for it. Keep it brief and direct, not making excuses but simply explaining the reasons and then focusing on how it is not representative of your abilities (as demonstrated by your strong GMAT). This may help: https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2009/03/ ... mistake-2/

On the positive side, you have a lot of good work experience, increasing responsibility, international exposure, and the ability to work without direct authority which usually also indicates solid decision-making skills and an ability to work under pressure. If you can point to some solid leadership and results with your non-profit work, that will strengthen that aspect of your profile.

That being said, I think Chicago, Kellogg and Columbia will be stretch schools. LBS, Oxford and Cambridge, generally lean towards older students so I think all of those are good solid choices for you. Stern is as well, but your age and demographic make it a bit more challenging than the British schools.

Best of luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php