Profile Assesment

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile Assesment

by Jinglander » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 pm
I just got a 730 on the GMAT was thinking I could have got a 760, should I take it again?. I have my heart set on Stanford or Harvard looking to probably focus in on entrepreneurship, but am open to a career in finance. I have spend two year in Ibanking and boutiques and 2 years at a start up focused on education. I had a 3.82 from Stanford, which I am guessing is a bit better than my Gmat. I also have overcome a learning disability, not sure if this is a good essay topic or makes me look like a liability?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:09 pm
Jinglander -
Thanks very much for posting your profile and questions. A 730 GMAT is probably high enough to "qualify you" for either HBS and Stanford, and I feel like neither school would be swayed one way or the other in a decision if you were to retake the test and score a 760. Also, as you suggest, the 3.82 from Stanford also helps in terms of quantitative admissions metrics.
Without knowing more about your work experience, leadership development, or personal story (beyond the learning differences bit), I cannot really evaluate your potential for acceptance at either school. I will say that both are so competitive that is makes sense to apply to a safety school if you are dead set on matriculating into an MBA program next fall.
You need to work on your personal story along the traditional lines: "why MBA?", "what are you professional goals?" etc. Those themes will determine your admissions success.
Best of luck to you,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process