• 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Probability

This topic has 1 expert reply and 0 member replies

Probability

Post

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Difficult



Can someone help with this math question?

Of all of the U.S. album sales 1989 (Taylor Swift) accounted for 25% of sales, Frozen (Various Artists) accounted for 24.1% of sales, In the Lonely Hour (Sam Smith) accounted for 8.2% of sales. What is the probability that a randomly selected album was something other than these three albums?

Thanks

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
Hi yoshi97,

When posting a GMAT questions, you should make sure to post the 5 answer choices (as sometimes the answers provide a clue as to how to approach the question in the most efficient way possible or a shortcut to avoiding a math-heavy approach).

Here we're told that of all of the U.S. album sales 1989 (Taylor Swift) accounted for 25% of sales, Frozen (Various Artists) accounted for 24.1% of sales, and In the Lonely Hour (Sam Smith) accounted for 8.2% of sales. We're asked for the probability of randomly selecting an album that is something OTHER than these three albums.

These 3 albums account for 25 + 24.1 + 8.2 = 57.3% of the US Album sales, thus there would be a 57.3% chance of randomly selecting one of these albums and a 100 - 57.3 = 42.7% chance of NOT selecting one of these albums.

Final Answer: 42.7%

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

_________________
Contact Rich at Rich.C@empowergmat.com

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors

Top First Responders*

1 fskilnik@GMATH 74 first replies
2 Jay@ManhattanReview 49 first replies
3 Brent@GMATPrepNow 47 first replies
4 GMATGuruNY 43 first replies
5 Rich.C@EMPOWERgma... 36 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description fskilnik@GMATH

GMATH Teacher

195 posts
2 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

183 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

123 posts
4 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

89 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

87 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts